Looking for a 256 GB SSD

Ted Wilson

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
As of now, I'm looking at Adata's, Sandisk's and Samsung's 256 (ish) GB SSDs

I have a budget of $180 and if you can recommend another SSD that is about the same price w/ the same storage and faster read/write speeds, that would be nice :D

EDIT:
Desktop SSD (SATA III)

What type of ssd are you interested in? Standard SATA 3 6Gb/s, mSATA, PCIe, or M.2 NGFF? Is it for a desktop computer or a mobile pc? What do you do with your computer? Do you use it primarily for gaming or professional work?

If you are in the USA, then you can easily find a good 256GB ssd for considerably less than $180.00. For example, the Samsung 840 EVO Standard SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd is usually on sale for $119.99. A few days ago there was a special promotion which reduced the price further to $109.99 and free shipping. You can expect to see good sale price during the Labor Day weekend - August 29th to September 1st.

I normally recommend Samsung solid state drives. They perform exceptionally well and have a proven track record. Crucial, SanDisk, and Intel are also worth considering.

I maintain the ssd database listed in a sticky at the top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.

Ted Wilson

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014

I'm looking for a SATA III Desktop SSD