R9 290 Vapor-X

slyly

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Hi guys,

I had another thread open but i am not reanimating, therefore i made a new one.

Now my problem is, i have a Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Vapor-X which is purchased 2 months ago (from now on "problem R9" will be called "1st R9" throughout the thread).

I used to use an i7-2600k with Asus Maximus IV Extreme - Z

Now, yesterday i installed my i7-4790k with Asus Maximus VII Hero

My PSU is still Silverstone Strider 1000 Watt Gold

When i installed 14.4 my GPU freaked out. Black screening every now and than.

However, no drivers installed it is working perfectly fine. 14.6 used to give me black screens time to time but not so often. Will try 14.7.

Meanwhile, i have purchased another computer with the same specs (i7-4790k with maximus VII Hero MoBo and 1.2k PSU) which also has R9 290 Vapor-X (from now on "no problem R9" will be called "2nd R9" throughout the thread).

And surprisingly, that 2nd R9 works perfect with 14.4. No blackscreens ever (used to have 1080p connected to 2nd R9 and now it is attached to 4k UHD TV and no problems with any of them).

Does that mean i have to RMA the 1st R9? Or since the 1st R9 does not black screen without drivers shall i just wait for new drivers and pray that there won't be any more problems and that ATI/AMD has perfected their drivers (Maybe if it is a driver related problem rather than hardware related)?

Since it may be relevant 1st R9 was used on Win 7 64 bit - Win 8 64 bit - Win 8.1 64 bit and currently on Win 8 64 bit.

2nd R9 is always on Win 8.1 64 bit.

Thank you for your time in reading and your helps are much appreciated.

Regards,

Edit: added OS information

slyly

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Do you have any information that i can provide to guarantee provider here? Since computer electronics dealers does not really want to replace via guarantee.

or did you guys just go and said it was faulty? Also what was the approximate wait time?

Sorry to bother with all these questions but they may be vital.

Alex Kelly

Honorable
Yeah that's okay, you aren't bothering me. It has taken a while to be honest, like a couple weeks. But I thought the card was faulty as he was getting black screens and some artifacting, and a lot of seemingly unrelated BSODs. He now has absolutely no problems and they determined the card was faulty after a couple days. :)

We just sent it back explaining the issues and they put it through their tests. They'll do the same for you.

slyly

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
I hope they do.

Alreay sent a mail to Sapphire to ask for some advice since I am living in Turkey and they try to make Guarantee replacements last long cuz they don't want to have it's financial burden...