R9 290 4GB model?!? PLEASE HELP

arrowgreen

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
Hi iam making new computer and i have a problem with choosing graphich card..
i cant choose between diamond and gigabyte r9 290... In neweg i saw lots of people complaining about the Gigabyte model so thats the reason i dont want to buy that one.. I didnt hear yet about brand Diamond... What would you choose?

I heard also about a r9 290 that its very noise and easly get overheated..any owner who can confirm that?

Should i go for r9 280x or with gtx 770? I want to play every game without laggs..ty:??::??::??:

Solution
I'd suggest the gigabyte one more or less. The cooler is a nice one. It does have more fans which does add to the noise.

The r9 290 is designed to run at higher temperatures, it'll go up warmer than most other cards. It's one reason why most people would probably suggest something like the Tri-x cooler or something.

As for good cooler, the Tri-x cooler is probably one of the better ones, granted it is a bit more expensive as well.

Lag is relative to what settings you're playing at. I don't get too much stuttering and frames drops with my r9 270x, but I do sacrifice a little on some of the games I play. The other thing is that some games will just naturally have frames drops from what's happening on screen or whatever is on screen...
I'd suggest the gigabyte one more or less. The cooler is a nice one. It does have more fans which does add to the noise.

The r9 290 is designed to run at higher temperatures, it'll go up warmer than most other cards. It's one reason why most people would probably suggest something like the Tri-x cooler or something.

As for good cooler, the Tri-x cooler is probably one of the better ones, granted it is a bit more expensive as well.

Lag is relative to what settings you're playing at. I don't get too much stuttering and frames drops with my r9 270x, but I do sacrifice a little on some of the games I play. The other thing is that some games will just naturally have frames drops from what's happening on screen or whatever is on screen. There's no way around the engine sometimes.

Solution
You should be able to play those games on ultra without too much of a performance hit when you get to more intense areas.

As for the case, as long as you have proper airflow, it shouldn't be a problem, at least 1 intake fan in front and 1 exhaust fan in the back should do fine.

Get a better cooler, like the 212 evo I selected.

Cheaper RAM that'll run at practically the same speed as the corsair ones.

Cheaper HDD same performance.

Go with the gigabyte one, it's cheaper and the cooler will be slightly better.

Cheaper case, looks similar to the one I changed out.

Better PSU and still will support everything and a nice overclock.

There's still budget for peripherals and Windows if you need that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1090.90

Greybeard Croft

Honorable
Aug 1, 2014

You are going to be disappointed. They aren't broken cards, they are actually really good cards and will perform better than the 770.

Every card has a chance of being dead on arrival. It's not like it's exclusive to a specific card or brand. Some will have higher chances than others.

The r9 290 does have more problems than most other cards due to it's heat output and what not though. Doesn't mean that'll be the case with every card. If you want to go with the gtx 770, that's your choice. It's a good card still. But if you're considering the 4gb version, I recommend sticking with the r9 290 or going with a r9 280x.

arrowgreen

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
exactly..i just cant get why of 50 people 16 gets broken or with problems cards..:) about gpu ram is 2gb enough for me i dont have more displays.. if iam gonna take 290 do i have to order 2 of that fans u selected for me? 1 in front 1 on the back? ty

It's mostly heat and the cooler designs. Regardless of what graphics card you get, you should still make sure to have 1 fan in front for intake and 1 in back as exhaust. Some cases come with fans preinstalled, some only come with like 1 preinstalled. Just check the case you're buying and make sure it has both. If it doesn't, then you could add in however many you need for that minimum requirement.