r9 270 crossfire vs 290x

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Just got a quick question I was looking to get a 290x but I also want to get a closed loop so I can overclock my fx8320. This got me thinking as I already have a 270 and was thinking about getting another 270 to crossfire them.This way I could also get my closed loop cooling with out breaking the bank and getting a 290x. Figured if I add another 270 is should be pretty good.

Just want to know what you guys think Il be gaming on 1080p. Not sure if I should just get the closed loop for now and later get a 290x or if should crossfire the 270s as itl be cheaper. It will be running on the crosshair V formula Z mobo.

aaronfield

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014

I would get a cheapish AIO water cooler like the Cooler Master Seidon 120M. It hauls ass in terms of cooling. Then you (most likely) can afford your 290x as it would most likely be better.

There always seem to be issues with dual gpu's. I would stick with a single card.
cf 270's might win you some benchmarks, but dual cards are prone to tearing and stuttering issues.

and... I think you could get a decent overclock for your FX with a conventional air cooler and save the liquid cooling funds for your upgraded gpu.