450 Watt power supply enough power for 8 core CPU and a GTX 660?

Spinal_94

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Solution
The 550W PSU is definitely a lot better, as it's actually rated for 520W via its two 12V rails. Sadly I can't find any reviews of the HS series from Ultra, so I can't honestly say how good it actually is, but based on the other Ultra PSUs I know about (some horrendous, some just mediocre), I wouldn't expect too much.

You're probably not going to find a better one for the price ($29 after rebate), but really, if you can afford to spend more on the PSU I'd recommend it as it's an often overlooked but vital part of a computer. A poor quality PSU can fail early, and potentially take other components with it when it dies, while a high quality PSU can be like a long term investment, with the potential to power your system (and future...

Damn_Rookie

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

That maybe the case, but the CPU the OP is running is a lot more power hungry than your i7, and more importantly, the 450W PSU that was linked is garbage; it's a really old design that should really be rated as a 300W unit, as it only outputs a maximum of 288W on the 12V rail.

Spinal_94

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Thanks for reply,
So I should purchase the 550W power supply or another with more wattage?

Damn_Rookie

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
The 550W PSU is definitely a lot better, as it's actually rated for 520W via its two 12V rails. Sadly I can't find any reviews of the HS series from Ultra, so I can't honestly say how good it actually is, but based on the other Ultra PSUs I know about (some horrendous, some just mediocre), I wouldn't expect too much.

You're probably not going to find a better one for the price ($29 after rebate), but really, if you can afford to spend more on the PSU I'd recommend it as it's an often overlooked but vital part of a computer. A poor quality PSU can fail early, and potentially take other components with it when it dies, while a high quality PSU can be like a long term investment, with the potential to power your system (and future systems), and any upgrades you make, for years to come.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS