6870 high GPU temps (50-60c idle, 80c gaming). Good replacement?

rubbed

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012
- XFX HD 6870 Black Edition 1GB Radeon graphics card
- Idle temps 50-60c.
- Gaming temps 78-85c
- MSI afterburner profile enabled (fan is ridiculously noisy)
- Without MSI, temps reach 90c quickly.

I use 1 monitor at 120hz and my case cooling is fine (CPU idle temps are 25-35c and never above 45c full load).

After doing research it seems that the black edition of this card means it's already overclocked and therefore runs hotter than the other 6870.

Some of you might say these temps are reasonable, but it is just way too noisy and I have to run the fan at 70-80% fan almost always when I am gaming, and 40-50% speed idle.

Can someone tell me what I can do and if there are any good cards worth getting to replace it < £150.
I have tried cleaning out the GPU fan with compressed air and the temps dropped by about 5c, but it still runs hot and noisy.

Solution
Replace the thermal paste on your gpu, and it should be as cool as it was when it was new.

A modern replacement would be the GTX 760 or Radeon 270x

rubbed

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012

P450-6872-Main-JH.jpg

That's my card.
I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to take it apart, tried google but couldn't find any tutorials.

Do you know the average temps for those two cards?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Really easy, little screws on the back.

aerocool

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013
I have had the same problem with my old Shaphire HD5850. I used Arctic MX-4 paste. It drops the temps about 10ºC

The small screws are difficult to extract, you will need a small and good screwdriver (I broke two of the cheapest screwdrivers (1€ a pack of 5 XD)).

rubbed

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012
Okay something wierd happened.
Idle temps and browsing net etc was around 30-40c.
Gaming temps were now 60-65c (great!).

But after I exited the game, my temps have stayed at 50c idle.
I left it for about 30 mins and still 50c, and goes up to around 53c watching a film.

I tried gaming again and my temps didnt go above 65c.

So something seems wrong when its being idle all of a sudden.
Any idea what this could be?

(I confirmed temps in CCC overdrive, MSI, GPU-Z)

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

That sounds fine, if your case doesnt have great airflow then it cant clear the heat enough. Do you have many case fans?

You can always set a fan profile in MSI afterburner to run it a bit fast at around 50-60c so it lowers further at idle, but if it doesn't go above 65'c in gaming I wouldn't worry too much.