780 ti vs titan for 4k

dak0003

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
The titan and the 780 ti seem to have similar stats when overclocked, and used titans are falling in price (sort of). From what Ive seen it seems like the 780 ti is better currently for running 4k. However on newer games that require more Vram, such as crysis 3 and heavy modded skyrim, it looks like the titan pulls ahead with its massive 6gb vram. So my question is, in the next 5 years, will the Titan be better to have, since it seems to do better with the newer games having so many textures and things that use Vram. Or is the 780ti gonna do better with its slight performance boost but half the Vram and worse "business processing" functions? Also which one do you think will retain its value better in terms of price?

jdcranke07

Honorable
The 780ti is a better option if budget is an issue and right now vram is not utilized as much as it will be so if your concerned about that then go for the titan. From the potential specs I've seen and read a few rumors about the 880s, they will not be able to keep up with the 780ti which still is setting records in the overlocking world where as the titan is not. And for realistic 4K gaming you need at least two GPUs. Even one Titan Z cannot handle triple monitor 4K by itself very well.

trawetSluaP

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013

Yep, they're expensive but with certain games already requiring more than the 780 Ti's 3GB of VRAM and the OP asking which card will be better over a 5 year period the obvious answer (providing budget allows) is the Titan Black.

trawetSluaP

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013

That IS the Titan Black. How ignorant are you?

Nvidia AREN'T going to release a 780 Ti 6GB. EVGA discussed it with Nividia but it got canned and they released the 780 6GB instead.

Requiring, using and actually benefiting from are three different things. Yes many games will show themselves accessing more RAM but I have yet to see any published results showing an actual performance impact. Have you been able to locate any tests like this where they went beyond what the game said or what the game was capable of accessing ?

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/gtx-770-4gb-vs-2gb-tested/3/

There is one last thing to note with Max Payne 3: It would not normally allow one to set 4xAA at 5760×1080 with any 2GB card as it claims to require 2750MB. However, when we replaced the 4GB GTX 770 with the 2GB version, the game allowed the setting. And there were no slowdowns, stuttering, nor any performance differences that we could find between the two GTX 770s.

dak0003

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
because I believe that the 780ti will run out of vram. In five years I believe there will be games that use 5-8 gb of vram, and three is simply not enough, even with how fast the card is. So, is it possible to oc the titan to titan blacks performance?

dak0003

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
no, there is no 780 ti coming out. the new 800 series processors are coming out, which means it would be completely illogical for nvidia to create a 780 ti 6gb at this point. It's possible that nvidia may one day create the 880 ti with 6gb Vram, but who knows when that will be. So back to my original question, can the titan overclock to the titan blacks level?

trawetSluaP

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013

Brilliant informative post, shame you can't post anything nearly as informative.

The titan Black has a few more cores unlocked but with a decent OC a Titan can achieve Titan Black performance.

You're right in saying there's no 780 Ti 6GB coming too, Legend seems to be unable to let go of that dead horse.

JackNaylorPE, the only test I have seen an impact with is in my own experiences. Two games of note are Watch_Dogs (although I realise it's a mess of a game) and Crysis 3. Both of which performed considerably better when I swapped my 780 Ti for a Titan Black. Bear in mind this is a the highest graphical settings with maximum AA.

trawetSluaP

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013

There is no argument. You're wrong. Simple as.

Provide evidence of the release of a 780 Ti 6GB for us then?

trawetSluaP

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013

I didn't say it was "fake". I pointed out that it was an old article that didn't actually mention the 780 Ti 6GB, only the 780 6GB.

Try again.