Fx-6300 and a R9 280x will i bottleneck

jr74752

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
it is a Sapphire SA-R9280X-3GD5-OC (11221-00-41G) 3GB DDR5 R9 280X OC PCI-E VGA Card
Will my CPU cope?
And should i get a CPU cooler even though I wont be overclocking ( Probably)

Solution
The GPU needs to fit in your case and have a suitable PSU - 600W, good quality.

You need a custom cooler and a good motherboard to be able to overclcok the cpu.

I suggest you just try the fx6300 without overclocking. Only if you feel you need to overclock it, then make sure you've got a good (eg 990fx) motherboard and good cooler. Alternatively, get a fx8320 which won't need overclocking.

Proofy

Admirable
i would get hyper 212evo it's cheap and do a little overclock, it's easy :) and not harmfull

it won't bottleneck r9280x (meaning r9 280x will reach its 100% full power), but however the higher the cpu speed the better the card will be paired with...

The GPU needs to fit in your case and have a suitable PSU - 600W, good quality.

You need a custom cooler and a good motherboard to be able to overclcok the cpu.

I suggest you just try the fx6300 without overclocking. Only if you feel you need to overclock it, then make sure you've got a good (eg 990fx) motherboard and good cooler. Alternatively, get a fx8320 which won't need overclocking.

Solution

jr74752

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

Will the Coolermaster Hyper 103 RR-H103-22PB-R1 CPU Cooler do?

Proofy

Admirable
Any aftermarket cooler is better than the stock cpu cooler.. however if you're going to overclock your CPU just watch the temperatures(for slight overclock that cooler will be ok).. And yeah you should have some motherboard that is able to overclock like 990fx and enough wattage on PSU to do so.

@Proofy, I would argue that there are some aftermarket coolers that are worse than the stock coolers for AMD cpus.

@Op, I suggest getting a xfx 550w over the CX 600w. I advise against CX series PSUs for AMD CPUs unless theres <150w headroom or something, some of the capacitors are lower quality and will not handle as well under stress. The CX series is one of the more problematic series out of Corsair's psu lineup. The 600w unit will still work in your system. If you're not overclocking the system shouldn't pull more than 450w...

Proofy

Admirable
Yes Calnin you're right but 90% of them are better than the stock ones...

jr74752 if you didn't buy that motherboard and PSU yet I would suggest you to buy one of these 3 motherboards if you plan to overclock CPU

ASRock 990FXExtreme9, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (buy the cheapest one because they are all good and very close performance)

and I agree with Calnin with the PSU, i don't like corsairs CX series either, they are poorly made... Would go with xfx/seasonic/evga/rosewill < any of them 4 over corsairs CX

The ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 is not a very good motherboard. The 780 chipset was replaced with the 87, 88, 97 now the 990fx chipset. It only has 4+1 power phase - not good for overclocking. It doesn't have heatsinks on the VRM - again, not good for overclocking. In fact you have to have a custom cooler to even try.

The Corsair CX are a tier 3 PSU. Tiers 1, 2a and 2b are recommended. The 600CX itself has had numerous problems reported here including poor voltage control due to the use of cheap capacitors and also its 24 pin motherborad connector has soemtimes been impossible to fit due to the poorly moulded connector.

jr74752

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

on the website im on they dont have xfx but the shop is the closest and have the cheapest prices near me. :)