2011 Upgrade built

kodatius

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Hi guys, I have these parts here PcPartsPicker. The ram is different, for some reason they didnt have it on the list. But, its the same speed and brand for the most part (G.skill)

The one thing I'm worried about is i got sandy bridge when it first came out, and with it, the rev 3.0 mobo. I never bothered getting the free rev-3.1 upgrade along with the chip because it would have left me computer-less.

With the current mobo, and my i5-2500k, what is a recommended upgrade (vid card, mobo, ram, etc) without bottlenecking the i5, assuming one of the recommendations isnt upgrading to a new mobo as well.

Side note, I did use to get, and sometimes still do, ram errors. even after a few years of research I was unable to tell if it was the RAM or the mobo, but i'm willing to try a better / more reliable brand of either. I also had some bios update problems.

Thanks!

Solution
Of course, no point buying a whole new build when most of it works fine already :)

As i said, have a look at the GTX 760 or GTX 770, neither would be bottlenecked by the 2500K.

The GTX 760 costs around $250, GTX 770 costs around $320-$350.

kodatius

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011

Hey thanks for the quick reply. I don't really have a budget per se but, I dont want to just drop 1k on cards of course. I'd rather upgrade my old build if it makes more financial sense instead of buying whole new everything

bradsctt

Distinguished
Of course, no point buying a whole new build when most of it works fine already :)

As i said, have a look at the GTX 760 or GTX 770, neither would be bottlenecked by the 2500K.

The GTX 760 costs around $250, GTX 770 costs around $320-$350.

Solution

kodatius

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011

would I be better off with an SLI from a lesser card to beat out the 770? Or is it worth buying two 760 and putting them in SLI