Help With My $600 Gaming PC Build?

Hans Fuhrmann

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
Hi this is my first time building a pc and I'm not very sure what I'm doing. Here is a link to my build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/LuculentDuck/saved/xXpzK8
I am fairly certain after looking around online that 500 watts will not be enough but I have gotten mixed answers. Suggestions from "500 watts is good" to "you need atleast 850". This is my first question. How many watts will I need? I do not plan on overclocking. Any suggestions would be great. I want 8 gigs of ram and would like to be able to run Battlefield 4 on or as close to ultra settings as possible.

And the reason I chose the case is even though it costs $60 which is kinda high for a budget build is that I love the look especially with the new black/orange color coming out soon.

So yeah that is my situation. I could honestly switch out every part if you think this is not a good build. I'm not an amd fan or intel fan or anything like that. This is just what I thought is the best bang for my buck. I can go a bit higher than 600 too. And operating system is not included in that price. I haven't bought any parts yet this is just my plan. Thanks!

Solution
You can see the rough estimate on PCpartpicker. Whoever is recommending you getting that 850w is either assuming that you'll be getting a crappy 850w or you'll be running multiple graphics cards.

If you are running a mutlicard set up, yes a 850w is recommended, otherwise a good 500-550w is good enough.

As for the PSU, if you want a bigger PSU and what not, one you can consider if you don't mind the mail in rebate is the XFX 650w. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650snlb9 << It's a higher quality unit and has a bigger output.

The CX series isn't the best line up from Corsair, if anything, it's probably their worst... Doesn't mean it's a bad one, just not the most ideal one. If you can't go for the xfx, then the...
You can see the rough estimate on PCpartpicker. Whoever is recommending you getting that 850w is either assuming that you'll be getting a crappy 850w or you'll be running multiple graphics cards.

If you are running a mutlicard set up, yes a 850w is recommended, otherwise a good 500-550w is good enough.

As for the PSU, if you want a bigger PSU and what not, one you can consider if you don't mind the mail in rebate is the XFX 650w. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650snlb9 << It's a higher quality unit and has a bigger output.

The CX series isn't the best line up from Corsair, if anything, it's probably their worst... Doesn't mean it's a bad one, just not the most ideal one. If you can't go for the xfx, then the corsair one will do fine.

As for cutting down costs, an r9 270x is still capable of playing games at a good quality.

Solution

bliq

Distinguished
My opinion is that these parts are fine. One recommendation is to invest in a small SSD for the OS and apps/games. It will make a significant difference in perceived speed. 120GB are coming in around $55 or so.

500W is plenty for this build. CX is corsair's entry level line but it's a good quality entry level unit. the CX430 is very often recommended and might be even cheaper than CX500 and might provide you a little extra cash for that SSD.

The 430w is cutting it a bit too close in my opinion, not really the best especially since the cx series doesn't handle very well under a lot of stress. With the minimal headroom it has, it would be a bit more stressful to use the 430w compared to the 500w.

Hans Fuhrmann

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014

Crap because it's corsair? or crap because it's only 500 watts? Because you're the first peron to say it's crap. Several people have told me it's a good power supply.

It's not the most ideal PSU. For your system it will probably work decently maybe as long as you're not overclocking. There are better units for approximately the same price more likely a bit more expensive, but not by too much.

Corsair's decent/good PSUs are the AX/HX/TX series I believe, but in most cases they're too expensive and within its price range, there are better units for equal/better pricing. The lower end one's have some lower quality capacitors which can cause problems when you're power output of your system starts hitting closer toward the rated output of the PSU.