Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Upgrading or building new gaming pc 1700-1800 usd budget

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Monitors
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 25, 2014 12:10:30 PM

Hello everyone I got a gaming pc that's a few years old now.

The reason I want to upgrade is firstly too be able to play newer games in 1080p with a nice fps.

Secondly I really want to be able to use a 3 monitor setup. (Only one for gaming though.)

Here is my current build:

Spoiler
Case:
CM Storm Scout Midi Tower
Fans: 1x 140mm front, 1x 140mm top, 1x 120mm back,

PSU:
Chieftec Super Series 750W PSU
ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus, Modular, 2x 6pin+2x 6+2pin PCIe, 8x SATA, 140mm

Motherboard:
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO, Socket AM3
AMD 785G+ SB710, DDR3, Firewire, gbLAN, ATX, HDMI, DVI,
2xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 945
Quad Core, 3.0Ghz, AM3, 8MB, 95W,

RAM:
2XCrucial DDR3 1333MHz 4GB KIT, CL9,
Kit w/two matched DDR3 2GB, 240pin,
(8gb total)

GPU:
Saphire Radeon HD7970 3GB GDDR5
PCI-Express 3.0, DL-DVI-I + SL-DVI-D, native-HDMI, DisplayPort, 925MHz

Storage:
OCZ-AGILITY3 ATA 120GB

SAMSUNG HD103SI 1AG01118 ATA 1TB

BIOS:
American Megatrends Inc. 2103, 2010-06-18

OS:
Windows 8.1 Pro


Is there any reason to keep my old build or should I just start from scratch? If there is only one part that's salvagable i'd rather just give the whole rig away to my friend.

Any suggestions or builds are welcome.

Thanks

More about : upgrading building gaming 1700 1800 usd budget

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 25, 2014 12:26:33 PM

You could do this with some of you parts reused from the old build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($71.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($117.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $819.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-25 15:23 EDT-0400

Use your old case, HDD/SSD, RAM, and Crossfire the HD 7970 with the R9 280x and you could game across those 3 screens if you wanted. Or you could just keep the 7970 and not get the r9 280x if you are satisfied with it's performance right now.
Share
Related resources
August 25, 2014 1:25:49 PM

numanator said:
You could do this with some of you parts reused from the old build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($71.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($117.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $819.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-25 15:23 EDT-0400

Use your old case, HDD/SSD, RAM, and Crossfire the HD 7970 with the R9 280x and you could game across those 3 screens if you wanted. Or you could just keep the 7970 and not get the r9 280x if you are satisfied with it's performance right now.


If I only want to use one of the monitors for gaming, would i still need the GPU upgrade?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 25, 2014 1:31:35 PM

at 1080p it will be fine for a while. Higher resolutions it's still ok but not the best gpu. For the games out now though you dont need a gpu upgrade for 1080p. For 3x1080p the 7970 isn't strong enough unless you lower the setting quite a bit.
m
1
l
August 25, 2014 1:49:13 PM

ruecklm14 said:
at 1080p it will be fine for a while. Higher resolutions it's still ok but not the best gpu. For the games out now though you dont need a gpu upgrade for 1080p. For 3x1080p the 7970 isn't strong enough unless you lower the setting quite a bit.


Will my current PSU be enough if I hold of on the GPU for a while?

Also Can I run 3 monitors of my old card and the new Motherboard?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 25, 2014 1:51:00 PM

Sorjew said:
ruecklm14 said:
at 1080p it will be fine for a while. Higher resolutions it's still ok but not the best gpu. For the games out now though you dont need a gpu upgrade for 1080p. For 3x1080p the 7970 isn't strong enough unless you lower the setting quite a bit.


Will my current PSU be enough if I hold of on the GPU for a while?


Yes, that psu can even run a gtx titan.
m
1
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 25, 2014 1:51:14 PM

If you are only playing on one screen at 1080p then don't bother with the crossfire R9 280x or the PSU. You could also get a i7 4790k if you have any applications that utilizes the i7's hyperthreading.
m
1
l
August 25, 2014 2:20:46 PM

numanator said:
If you are only playing on one screen at 1080p then don't bother with the crossfire R9 280x or the PSU. You could also get a i7 4790k if you have any applications that utilizes the i7's hyperthreading.


Okay, sounds great, just one more question! Can you confirm that I can run 3 monitors with the new motherboard and my current GPU?

Thanks you have been very helpful.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 25, 2014 2:32:10 PM

All 3 should run on your GPU. Your GPU should have a DVI port, a HDMI port, and a display or mini display port to plug monitors into. You may need to purchase cords as needed (mini display port to HDMI, etc.)
m
1
l
August 25, 2014 2:39:03 PM

Okay, awesome. Thanks for the quick assistance
m
0
l