802.1x Router setup?

twillob

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
Ok, heres the deal, I recently moved into a new complex and we are supposed to use the complex wifi for our internet., Its got a username /password that you setup the first time you attempt to connect. My problem is that on our apple tv, and xbox we cant login to connect. I have directv coming wed. to install however they do not offer internet pkgs in my area. So what I need is to somehow get a router connected to wire the directv receiver, xbox etc... There are two networks,both have the same name but one is (802.1x). All thoughts appreciated!

Solution
802.1x is designed to prevent you from doing exactly what you are attempting. It is used to authenticate the device that is connecting it is designed to prevent spoofing of credentials . It needs special software drivers that support EAPOL to communicate with the AP. Any device that does not support this can not authenticate. On top of this the authentication method itself varies. Many are variations of EAP-TLS but microsoft radius installs tend to use EAP-PEAP which is not standard and is not supported by many devices.

This is fundamental to the design of 802.1x a router can not act as end device what is referred to as a supplicant. Although I suppose someone could write a router code to be act as a supplicant it would only...
802.1x is designed to prevent you from doing exactly what you are attempting. It is used to authenticate the device that is connecting it is designed to prevent spoofing of credentials . It needs special software drivers that support EAPOL to communicate with the AP. Any device that does not support this can not authenticate. On top of this the authentication method itself varies. Many are variations of EAP-TLS but microsoft radius installs tend to use EAP-PEAP which is not standard and is not supported by many devices.

This is fundamental to the design of 802.1x a router can not act as end device what is referred to as a supplicant. Although I suppose someone could write a router code to be act as a supplicant it would only work in very simple situation. 802.1x with certificates or one time keys would make that useless.

Solution