i3 3240 with 270x vs i5 3340 with 7770 (1280x720)

hussien el attar

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
i can only upgrade either the CPU or the GPU right now.
my current rig is
CPU : i3 3240
GPU: vapor x 7770
MB: socket 1155
res: 1280x720
so should i get the i5 or the 270x
for the next generation upcoming games specially The Witcher 3.
Or should i wait for something else !

Solution
I agree, if he's able to fund himself with money for a R9 280X or GTX 770 in the next upgrade, I'll be outmost happy with that decision. But if the budget is likely to remain more or less fixed to about ~$200 for both of them, in my honest opinion getting GPU then CPU will be better. But that's very much debatable. Also, preferences play a big role.

jbrown156

Reputable
May 7, 2014

the 7770 is fairly powerful enough to handle games so go for the cpu upgrade as the i3 is not really that efficient in games any more.. you can save over time and buy a gpu upgrade later as the cpu is the biggest bottleneck you would have an intensive games

hussien el attar

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

i3 is powerful but it's only 2 cores ,isn't this going to be a problem with the next generation games ?

I actually think the opposite. Getting a powerful CPU with a not-so-strong GPU may result in bottleneck. i3 is in no way weak for medium-high gaming. And getting a good GPU right now (if he chooses to wait till 800 series arrives, then its a different story) will allow him to get full juice out of his CPU and then upgrading next year would allow his build to be balanced with a more powerful CPU.

jbrown156

Reputable
May 7, 2014

hey pay no mind to any garbage you might hear the 7770 is quiete powerful enough for new games at this moment so the best thing would to get a more modern processor to keep you into the gaming world until you can afford a new card .. besides direct x 12 is out think so just save so that you can get to experience direct x12 as soon as games for it is released and you wont have to worry about getting a new card again for direct x 12 .. the 270x is great but lets face it you are going to moving into new games soon so why not just wait a bit so you wont regret whatever you buy.

I appreciate that. But in my humble opinion upgrading to CPU seems rational approach for the reasons quoted above. Anyhow, this is upto OP and his budget with preferences.

I agree, if he's able to fund himself with money for a R9 280X or GTX 770 in the next upgrade, I'll be outmost happy with that decision. But if the budget is likely to remain more or less fixed to about ~$200 for both of them, in my honest opinion getting GPU then CPU will be better. But that's very much debatable. Also, preferences play a big role.

Solution