Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Overclocking g3258 on MSI H81M-P33

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
August 26, 2014 12:31:07 PM

Hello, everyone.
I read the review on g3258 overclocking and thought I'd give it a try. I was on a very tight budget and wanted to make the cheapest gaming pc possible. I also had some spare parts from my older pc's, so I got an MSI H81M-P33 board and a g3258 CPU.
I also installed the latest BIOS v 1.7.
At first, I wasn't even able to overclock at all since I couldn't figure out that I need to use the plus key on CPU rate to increase it, and can't do that with mouse. Intel Extreme Tuning Unitility however, still doesn't want to unlock my CPU and overclock it, but not a big problem I guess.
However, I can't make my system to run (it either doesn't post at all or throws BSOD during windows boot) when the CPU is at a higher rate than 3.7k Hz. Which is not quite what I had hopes for.
I'd like to know, what might be the reason for that. I have high doubts about my old PSU which might be the cause of the problem, however, I'd like to know if it is at all possible. I also suspect my RAM.
I should also add that I am very now to overclocking and do anything like that for the first time. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

My full specs are:

CPU: g3258
Motherboard: MSI H81M-p33
PSU: Super Power Real Power 450 W
Memory: 1 stick Hyundai 4096 MBytes 1333 MHz (At least I thought it was but CPU-Z shows 667 MHz for some reason)
Graphics: Radeon R7 250X


Best solution

a b K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
a c 89 à CPUs
August 26, 2014 12:51:56 PM

DDR Double Data Rate 667MHz is the actual frequency the memory runs at. Unless you are attempting to overclock the memory it shouldn't matter.

Power supply is not a brand I recognize, probably not the best.

What settings other then the clock speed are you modifying?

As clock increase so must voltage input to the CPU and the core voltage (up to around 1.3 volts)

If you are using the stock cooler the CPU could be overheating as well.
Share
a c 82 K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
a c 394 à CPUs
August 26, 2014 12:56:07 PM

You installed the latest BIOS for that board (ver 1.7) and it doesn't allow the CPU multiplier to unlock in BIOS?
m
0
l
Related resources
August 26, 2014 1:24:11 PM

Eximo said:
DDR Double Data Rate 667MHz is the actual frequency the memory runs at. Unless you are attempting to overclock the memory it shouldn't matter.

Power supply is not a brand I recognize, probably not the best.

What settings other then the clock speed are you modifying?

As clock increase so must voltage input to the CPU and the core voltage (up to around 1.3 volts)

If you are using the stock cooler the CPU could be overheating as well.


I only modify CPU Ratio and Ring Ratio to the same value (should I modify Ring Ratio at all)? What concerns voltage: no, I haven't modified it. So I must increase CPU and core voltage, right? Both to around 1.3V? That's good to know, I thought I needed something like that but wasn't sure which value I should set.

I don't think it's the cooler because I can boot the system at 3.8k Hz, but then it doesn't pass the IntelBurnTest (it shuts down with BSOD during the test); the temperature however doesn't rise higher than 68 C which should be fine I guess.

clutchc said:
You installed the latest BIOS for that board (ver 1.7) and it doesn't allow the CPU multiplier to unlock in BIOS?


No, the BIOS does allow overclocking. The Intel Extreme Tuning Utility supplied with the board doesn't.

m
0
l
a c 82 K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
a c 394 à CPUs
August 26, 2014 2:15:30 PM

If the BIOS now allows OC'ing, why are you using the software app to OC? They rarely work well. Do your OC'ing in BIOS. Simply leave all those other settings at stock for now and see how far you first get using the multiplier alone. Test with Intel Burn Test between increases for stability. http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4965-intelburntest.ht...
I like to run the 10 pass default. Keep an eye on core temps at all time.

When you've reached the point where it is no longer stable, you can either back off to the last stable multiplier increase...
...or increase the vcore a tiny bit to make it stable again and see if you can increase the multiplier some more.
m
0
l
August 26, 2014 3:25:21 PM

Actually, it seems that increasing cpu voltages does help. I haven't tested everything yet, but at least I can boot at 4 GHz now. Thanks for your suggestions guys.

clutchc said:
If the BIOS now allows OC'ing, why are you using the software app to OC? They rarely work well. Do your OC'ing in BIOS. Simply leave all those other settings at stock for now and see how far you first get using the multiplier alone. Test with Intel Burn Test between increases for stability. http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4965-intelburntest.ht...
I like to run the 10 pass default. Keep an eye on core temps at all time.

When you've reached the point where it is no longer stable, you can either back off to the last stable multiplier increase...
...or increase the vcore a tiny bit to make it stable again and see if you can increase the multiplier some more.


Im sorry that I haven't been clear enough: I'm not using software to overclock, I'm using BIOS.

m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
a c 89 à CPUs
August 27, 2014 6:16:29 AM

Voltage input to the CPU must be higher then the core voltage. Usually around 1.6 -1.7 volts for Haswell chips.
m
0
l
August 27, 2014 6:53:24 AM

While I still wasn't able to get better results than 4.0 GHz because of temperature rising too high, increasing core voltage to 1.280 V and ring voltage to about 1.190 V did help me to stabilize the system at 4.0 GHz. I set CPU voltage input to 1.9 V which seems to be the maximum value possible for my board.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
a c 89 à CPUs
August 27, 2014 6:57:11 AM

V input is probably a little too high at 1.9. Try lowering it until the system becomes unstable again and then set it back up a little. I have my i7-4770k running at 1.8 Vin at 1.2894 volts or something like that.
m
0
l
August 27, 2014 9:53:46 AM

I tried lowering it to 1.80 and 1.825 with no success, but 1.85 worked, which is staying for now. Thanks for your help.
m
0
l
!