7990 Devil 13 or gtx780

kurgan999

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
Hi all ,
i need your help, first i wanted to buy this gpu
ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5
or gtx780 TI ( which is more expensive than card mentioned above)

than friend of mine is willing to sell his 7990devil 13 ( almost new in mint condition ) for less price than cards up cost .

I will use this card for work on 4k dell 32" monitor ( and devil look like better option cose have 5 inputs for monitors ) and 2nd 27" support monitor , and i need card that i can use and abuse 24/day , i will not use it for gaming ( maybe 1-2h / day i play games cs go and lol ) ... so i need picture quality and durability .

Ty in advance !

ps. i've got seasonic 1k w plat , sabertooth x79, i7 4960x and 4x4gb kingston beast on 2.4 ghz.

Solution
Well its a 12%+ performance difference on those games where a good Crossfire profile exists. On the others, well it'll be slower and in general more of a headache. I would say hardly worth it to deal with the heat, noise, and power consumption levels of the 7990. You would also lose the ability to enable PhysX, Adaptive VSync, TXAA, FXAA, HBAO+, and the driver situation will be markedly worse.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_780_STRIX_6_GB/25.html
perfrel_1920.gif

It depends on the kind of programs you will be runing.
What will you be using the card for? Video editing (Adobe CS), model rendering, photo editing?
Depending on your use, driver support could be better for nVidia or for AMD.
Still, you are a lot more likely to have issues with the 7990, because it's a crossfire configuration on itself, and programs sre not completely ready to support that in most cases.

So, what programs will you be using?

liverpool1985

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014
Get HD7990. I use this with Dell 4K and its brilliant. No problem what so ever. Good for 4K gaming as well. For example Crysis 3 in 4K High Settings 40-55 fps. But remember when you playing card is very loud. In Idle quiet. I hope that will help.

The fact that 7990 is good doesn't mean that it's better than 780ti... It might be better at some stuff, but maybe not at other (sorry, I don't mean to be rude, just trying to keep things as objective as possible).
And remember gaming is not a big concern here, as OP said.

7990 IS better than 780, though.
But we still need to know what programs will OP be using...

enamak

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
OP said he just wanted a gpu with good image quality and durability, didnt even talked about programs, but op, if you are going to work, gtx 780 ti hands down. 7990 can be better at gaming but if you only play lol and cs go ... well you dont even need a high end gpu to play those
Also nvidia has better drivers and their cards usually last longer :)

If he just wanted good image quality and durability, 750ti would be my best recommendation, as it has a lot of advantages.
If he's looking at high end gpus, then I believe there must be a reason, and that's why Iinsist on asking about programs...

If there's no real need for high end cards, then 750ti has a very low power conumption and heat generation, and is enough for any non-gpu intensive task...

kurgan999

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
hi all,
ty for replies and stuff... well i am using adobe cs from time to time nothing special... basicly i am poker player who play a lot of tables , and i from time to time record my sessions ( than need rendering ) , also i am using team viewer to stream my games , also from time to time i can stream seassions trough twitch ... alos when i work with my coach i need to record those sessions ( and render after ) so if i record and do this things on 4k its going to be hell of a job, and it will take ton of time.
I need good gpu card to all those things work smooth on 4k display + as i said i am using 27" as a 2nd monitor, and there is a chance to add another monitor into my workstation(i have 4 monitros + w8 for 4k to arrive, so 5 monitors at my table right now) .

I would like to buy something that will do the job while i am using pc 12h/day 365 days/year so i dont need to think if something is going to lag or something go broke or w/e.

Embra

Distinguished
Haha... Did we forget he can get an almost new 79990 from a friend (known source) for "less" than a gtx 780?

I would be very tempted. For your needs I think the 780 (non ti) is out.
So you are looking at the 7990 or 780 ti... which at 4k you might want to consider a 290x.

enamak

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
He wont game, so r9 290x for what? Gtx 780 its much better and renderizing and its more durable.
If he wants image quality, render, and durability, gtx 780 or gtx 780 ti would do it better than hd 7990 or r9 290x

kurgan999

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014

yep this is pont, gtx780ti would cost me 715euros or 570GBP, regular GTX would cost me 600e or 475GBP, and 7990 devil 13 would cost me 500euros or 400GBP.

so , for this value is it better to get 7990 or regular gtx780? 780ti would ost me 215euros(170gbp) more.

I talked today with friend and he explained me everthing, graphic card have latest bios cose it has 2xdual bios(works at 1000mhz/1100clocked), he put arcticfox silver5 paste, graphic card on idle work at 30'c / degrees at full load he said 50'c / degrees , its not that loud, all drivers work perfect and even with sli / crossfire mode all works good.
His friend also brought gtx780 ti to compare and he said 7790 brought same fps even higher in some situations(friend is sicko for hardwere and some ppl coming to his place to test hardwere and stuff :) )

I said i am not playing games, but from time to time i can fire up some games, who knows, and maybe in future i will have more time for gaming. :p

So it reserved it for me until monday, so i have to make choice.

enamak

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

Looking that way, 500 euros for a 7990 its very good!
GTX 780ti its not worth anymore if you can get 7990 at that price.
Still the gtx 780 will last longer, but IMHO get the 7990, its more worth at that price :) and if you are thinking in gaming in the future, 7990 is also the way to go.
Hope i helped :)

Solution

shnuhh

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
The Devil 13 is probably the worst of all variants of the 7990. It heats up like crazy, requires so much power, and sounds like a leaf blower at full load. I exchanged it for the sapphire variant and it's a bit better. If you don't want any headaches, just go with the 780