i5 4460 or 4690k

InsightfulAnon

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014
Hello, I'm upgrading my current build, which is a FX 8120 + GTX 760 2gb, and getting myself a GTX 780 and one of the i5 cpus mentioned. I play the occasional MMO, I enjoy heavily modded games and I'm looking forward to games such as Black Desert Online. My target is 60 fps, so what I wanna know is if the more expensive z97+4690k overclock-ready combo really is more worth it over the much cheaper b85+4460 combo for these games.

I'm worried about CPU dependent games such as MMOs and the occasional unoptimized console port for the most part because I don't want to face low fps situations, hence the doubt.

So, is overclocking really worth it or is the 4460 enough for 60 fps on 1080p gaming?

Solution
Given your situation, I would suggest the higher end one, the overclockable i5. It might be more expensive, but with a 780 you will be able to hold on a long time, and playing very demanding titles. Taking that into account, you should want something that will always be up to par with your gpu, so I woul vote for the k one.

InsightfulAnon

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014

I see, I was thinking more along the lines of an ASROCK Z97M PRO4 LGA 1150, which is the cheapest z97 mobo I can find around where I live. That should be good enough for OCing the 4690k, shouldn't it?

Given your situation, I would suggest the higher end one, the overclockable i5. It might be more expensive, but with a 780 you will be able to hold on a long time, and playing very demanding titles. Taking that into account, you should want something that will always be up to par with your gpu, so I woul vote for the k one.

Solution

mr91

Distinguished

oxiide

Distinguished

Generally speaking, a fast overclocked CPU was still a fast CPU at stock settings. You aren't going to see low FPS situations suddenly turn into high FPS just by overclocking. A 10 FPS difference would be very optimistic in most titles.

If you're going to overclock, do it because you enjoy overclocking. If you're not an overclocking enthusiast I don't think you need to deal with the extra cost and heat for what is typically a minor performance difference. All you need is a CPU good enough to let a GTX 780 hit 60 FPS at 1080p, and frankly that's not real hard to do.

If you'd like more of a compromise, you could look into an i5-4690 and H97 motherboard.

mr91

Distinguished

I agree H 97 with a 4690 would be the good choice if the op wants to save some money...

mr91

Distinguished

I agree H 97 with a 4690 would be the good choice if the op wants to save some money...

mr91

Distinguished
The op should also consider the 4790 non k because some games like wolfeinstein and watch dogs benifit from 8 threads according to the developers...

The I7 also has more l3 cache

The I7 is also more future resistant...

ICanBeADuck

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
I just built a system with the Intel i5 4690k and its amzing .I upgraded from and i2 CPU and I couldnt run battlefield at all.I have a amd radeon 7750 which isn't the best GPU out there. when I added the i5 I can run on high settings