FX-6300 Freezing with MSI 970A-G43

Hypernova_

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Hi,

I've been noticing that my PC has been freezing random times. After a few minutes, it goes back to normal. Could this be happening because of my motherboard? I'm currently using a MSI 970A-G43 but I plan to upgrade once I have enough money. Also, my CPU idle temps are around 49 Degrees Celcius (Using CPU-ID. Not normal idle temps right?).

My Specs:
FX-6300
MSI 970A-G43
CM Hyper 212 EVO
HyperX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) Fury @ 1600mhz
XFX DD R9 280X
HyperX 3K 120 GB SSD
WD 1 TB BLUE
CORSAIR CX-600
CM N400

Solution
I'd also go the Kingston page for your SSD and see if there are any firmware updates. Try the display driver procedure too, that is the most common cause of similar issues.

You may also want to run Seatools for windows to check the SSD function and make sure it's not a bad drive. Maybe run Memtest86 and rule out a bad memory module.
Check your BIOS version. If your version is lower than 10.3 let me know. Yes, that's high for idle with that cpu and that cooler. I'd say you need to remove the cooler, clean the heatsink and cpu and repaste. If you used a pea sized amount of paste it's probably too much. I recommend the rice sized method. Also, the center of the hold down bracket on that cpu cooler has a thumbscrew that tightens down in addition to the four outer screws. Make sure it's tightened down as well. You might want to check that first. Loosen the four outer screws by about two turns each then tighten the thumb screw down. Then re-tighten the outer screws until snug. You likely don't have the heatsink fully seated against the cpu lid and that could be the cause of the high temps.

Hypernova_

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

I'm using the latest BIOS version. I reapplied the thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5), the temps are slightly lower (44 C). It's pretty hot right now where I live. Do you think this is affecting my idle temps?

I high ambient (Outside or room temp) can certainly affect idle and even max temps. Your system can never be cooler than ambient temp and the higher the ambient temperature is the higher your idle temp is likely to be. Make sure your cpu fan settings in the BIOS are set to the standard or default setting and not the quiet or silent setting, depending on what settings are available.

Is your rig overclocked at all? You might even want to go into the BIOS and apply the default or optimal settings just to make sure nothing in there is causing your issues. What is your case fan solution like? How many fans and of what sizes are they. Configuration (Intakes, exhausts)?

Hypernova_

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

Sorry for the late replies. I've been busy with school work so I don't have much time to come on the forums. My rig is not overclocked. I'm using the stock fans plus a CM JetFlo 120mm. I have one of stock and the CM JetFlo as intake and the other stock fan as outtake. All the fans are 120mm. I really appreciate your help darkbreeze :)

PIEapple

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Well,it maybe occur on your room ambient temp is too high,maybe you can try to use Electric fans or Air-conditioning to blow your pc to test,maybe it won't happen freezing random times on this test.
PS. Some time when may room ambient temp is too high,I always to use Electric fans to blow my amd computer,well... amd cpu temp always trouble me...

Make a physical inspection of all the fans to confirm they are all working. Take the side cover off and power up. Make sure visually that any installed case, power supply and cpu fans are in fact running and that the RPMs increase as the rig warms up.

You might also want to reinstall the graphics card device drivers.

I'd remove the existing drivers using display driver uninstaller and then install the new Radeon drivers. You might want to download everything first so you already have them for installation after cleaning up the existing drivers since the display might look screwey until you reinstall.

Display driver uninstaller:
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

Catalyst control center 14.9:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%208.1%20-%2064#amd-catalyst-packages

Hypernova_

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

I removed the side panel and inspected the fans. They are all working.

I'd also go the Kingston page for your SSD and see if there are any firmware updates. Try the display driver procedure too, that is the most common cause of similar issues.

You may also want to run Seatools for windows to check the SSD function and make sure it's not a bad drive. Maybe run Memtest86 and rule out a bad memory module.

Solution