ion595

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
Hello just wondering what would be the best system for no more than £700

Note: Need everything except peripherals

Thanks

Solution

This is my updated suggested build :)

All good parts from great dealers. And its a gaming build just like last one.
So its not "skewed towards entirely different purposes" ;)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£133.38 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£61.50 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory...

Rammy

Honorable
It'd be helpful if you provided a bit more information. There's a sticky on this.
Specific games, or at least the types of games, is helpful.
Display resolution is very significant.
Also I'd assume based on your post that you need to include an OS? It's a bit vague, as this is generally a fixed cost it's often ignored from builds or separate to the budget.

TomSkini

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
If you're not overclocking then I would go with this -

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£133.94 @ YoYoTech)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£65.24 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£53.57 @ YoYoTech)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.31 @ YoYoTech)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£212.31 @ YoYoTech)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£43.99 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£60.88 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer (£12.64 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £678.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-27 16:06 BST+0100

This is my suggestion mate :D

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£113.14 @ YoYoTech)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£63.60 @ Kustom PCs)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£46.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.31 @ YoYoTech)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£201.00 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£37.99 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£58.99 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£79.74 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £700.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-27 16:07 BST+0100

Rammy

Honorable
Aaaaand here's the problem. You just end up with a bunch of builds, none of which are particularly bad but most of which contain parts which don't exist at the prices stated, all of which are skewed towards entirely different purposes, none of which are related to the OP, and none of which have any explanation as to their parts selection picks.

Tomshardware :D

ion595

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
1080p monitor, get os's free from college. Play any game from TF2, Skyrim, Dirt 3, Tomb Raider. So need to be able to play games at 1080p high/ultra settings.

Also would like an ssd for quick boots

(My english isn't too good, apologies)

Rammy

Honorable
Be aware - PCpartpicker links are all well and good but often they are not accurate.
Yoyotech only started appearing in UK PCpartpicker links in the last few weeks - and basically all of their prices listed on pcpartpicker are inaccurate. I'm not saying it's a scam, but I doubt it's accidental.
They aren't the only culprits, so watch out for this.

None of the games you list (bar Tomb Raider or modded Skyrim) are especially demanding, and 1080P display resolution does kinda cap the amount of money you need to spend on graphics - if you were trying to run at 1440P for example, I'd recommend forcing as much as possible of your budget into graphics.

For something compact and straightforward, I'd look at something like this. i5, GTX770, mATX case, money to spare. If it were me, I'd probably spend a bit more on the case, but it's a really excellent bang/buck build.

If you want to overclock, you do need to step down on graphics as you need to spend more on CPU, motherboard, CPU cooler and potentially PSU+memory as well. For this reason, in most games this will actually be inferior to the first build, but will be significantly stronger on CPU heavy tasks/games. I've stepped up to ATX here too, as it gives you stronger support for SLI/Crossfire if you upgrade the PSU at some point. Link

ion595

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
Those are just some examples, i intend to play the latest games such as the up coming gta 5 (hopefully not another awful port)

Also i'm not planning to OC, at all or add another GPU

Rammy

Honorable
Yeah if you are happy to stick with mATX then I'd suggest looking at the Fractal Design Define Mini or Arc Mini (pretty minimalist black boxes but really nice). The Corsair 350D would sneak into your budget but it's quite large and expensive for your build imo. If you want something a bit more unusual and colourful, then the Aerocool DS might fit the bill.

If none of those interest you then it's relatively easy to change to ATX or even ITX cases which opens up a tonne of options. Ultimately it really depends what you are looking for - small/big, colourful/modest, airflow/quiet. You should have somewhere around £50-70 (more if you swap the GTX770 for a 280X - fairly similar performance) which covers you for the majority of the mainstream cases on the market. All of the guys above suggested very solid ATX cases so have a look and see what you think.

ion595

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
I'd prefer something towards an ATX that is mainly black and sleek looking. Nothing larger than a mid size tower :)

Also the motherboard must have USB 3.0 connections, same with case

Rammy

Honorable
I've done a build in a Bitfenix Shinobi before. It's not the most expensive or well featured case but it's got a pretty straightforward look about it, is reasonably priced, is pretty versatile and has a matte finish which is nice.
There's the Corsair 200R/300R/330R as well as the SPEC range which are maybe a bit less subtle but well priced.
The aforementioned Fractal Design range are all possibles.
Most unusual suggestion might be the NZXT Phantom 410 - I wouldn't call it "sleek" but it's pretty interesting.

Don't worry too much about USB3.0, it's a standard across basically every motherboard and nearly every modern case will have front panel USB3.0.

This is my updated suggested build :)

All good parts from great dealers. And its a gaming build just like last one.
So its not "skewed towards entirely different purposes" ;)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£133.38 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£46.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£38.34 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£201.00 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£85.00 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£58.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£10.22 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £695.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-27 20:12 BST+0100

And it's a beautiful case.

Solution