i5 3450 T-case

Winnetou12

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
My T-case of my i5 3450 cpu is 67.5. Recently i had a max temp of 67 playing a game. I wonder if can i surpass the T-case , i mean if its safe if it gets 70-75 degress on full load.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Occasional peaks above the Max Tcase temp Intel recommends is OK. You just don't want to run continually at that temp. But how do you know you are reading the Tcase temp. Tcase is only measured in a lab that can insert a thermocouple under the heat spreader of the processor. Retail versions don't have that. You should really be reading the core temps, also know as TjMax temp. On 3rd gen i5 processors that is 72C.

Winnetou12

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

i read on google that the tj max for i5 3450 is 95 degrees. I asume that is ok to reach 94 degrees?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Tj Max stands for Thermocouple Junction Maximum. That is the maximum temp that the cores can withstand. At that point the firmware in the chip will throttle back its freq, voltage, etc. to save itself from self destruction. You NEVER want to run anywhere close to that if you value the longevity of your CPU. Intel recommends 72C as the safe TjMax of that processor.