FX-8350 won't get to 5.2 GHz

pierrerock

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
I have heard that a simple way to overclock FX series is to run AMD overdrive to see what is you CPU maximum and then getting this frequency in BIOS.

I am not a pro but the best i got is a stable 4.7 GHz @ 1.525 V with max temp of 64C while running Prime 95

AMD overdrive pretended it could overclock my CPU to 5.2 GHz. I don't really want to get voltage higher. I heard we should not get this chip at higher than 1.5V and I already did it.

Why can't i get at least 4.9-5.0 stable overclock ?

Solution
AMD overdrive doesn't really stress the cpu all that much when its doing its auto overclock, it might be able to hold 5.2ghz for a short while.

I run my 8320 at 4.5ghz/1.356v, sure i can punch in 5ghz at that voltage and have it boot but doing anything stressful instantly locks up the pc.

Unless you can tweak it some more and lower your voltage 4.7ghz seems that like that max your chip will do.

pierrerock

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
I got all these except for the motherboard ! My cooler isn't in my signature, but it's a corsair H100i (was in rebate when built my computer)

but i was more wondering how AMD overdrive did achieve it ? and why can't we do the same with manual overclocking

Shneiky

Distinguished
Not all chips are created equal! If Intel releases a 3.5 GHz I7 and AMD releases 4 GHz FX they only vouch that they have unlocked multiplier and they run at their out-of-the-box speeds. There is no guarantee about how high can your chip clock. Some Haswell I7 4770K could barely make it to 4.3 GHz regardless of voltage, while other were rock solid at 4.8 without any issues. It is the luck of the draw. Hitting 5 GHz on a FX 8350 is not for every chip. You need a bit of luck to get a good chip that is able to do it.

pierrerock

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
Oh so i was unclear. I ran AMD overdrive and tested clock frequency. It got up to 5200 Mhz, so i wanted to get to 4.9-5.0 but failed doing so with stable cores.

Of course, i am aware of the silicon lottery and i sure wished i had the jackpot, but you never win to the lottery XD.

the core of my misunderstanding is how AMD overdrive may tell me something i cannot achieve. AMD overdrive was at 1.475V when doing its overclock.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
AMD overdrive doesn't really stress the cpu all that much when its doing its auto overclock, it might be able to hold 5.2ghz for a short while.

I run my 8320 at 4.5ghz/1.356v, sure i can punch in 5ghz at that voltage and have it boot but doing anything stressful instantly locks up the pc.

Unless you can tweak it some more and lower your voltage 4.7ghz seems that like that max your chip will do.

Solution

pierrerock

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
I did this already and it seemed silly. Because when setting it to 5.2 Ghz CPU-Z read 3.7 GHz So I guess i can't rely on this.

So i guess I will have to be happy with my 4.7 Ghz. I just wanted to check and try to understand more overclocking. Thanks for your time guys.