Sign in with
Your question
Solved

5400 RPM Hard drive

Last response: in Storage
August 29, 2014 7:30:37 AM

Hey guys, i have 500GB S-ATAⅡ Hard Drive (5,400RPM), can i replace the fan of the hard drive only and make it 7200? Because my fan is tottaly dead and im using external fan, Thanks

More about : 5400 rpm hard drive

August 29, 2014 7:33:20 AM

5.400 and 7.200 rpm is for the HDD plates / motor, not for some fan that cools HDD in the case.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 29, 2014 7:41:37 AM

You seem to be confusing a few things. 5400RPM or 7200 RPM refers to "spindle speed," how fast the disks inside the HDD spin. That can't be changed without replacing the drives. Fans are another issue altogether. Can you clarify what the problem you have is? Is this a hard drive that isn't being seen, or a cooling fan?
m
l
Related resources
August 29, 2014 7:44:22 AM

SchizTech said:
You seem to be confusing a few things. 5400RPM or 7200 RPM refers to "spindle speed," how fast the disks inside the HDD spin. That can't be changed without replacing the drives. Fans are another issue altogether. Can you clarify what the problem you have is? Is this a hard drive that isn't being seen, or a cooling fan?

My problem is the BIG overheating, my laptop degree is 60 at idle, and when using programs like photoshop or games, it goes +85 degree, so i think the fan is broken because i even can't hear it's sound or feel it.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 29, 2014 7:47:44 AM

OK. If you turn the laptop on it's side and peek in through the air vents under the fan with a flashlight does it look like it's spinning? This could just be a dust problem. If the laptop is just clogged with dust it's easier to remedy than replacing a fan. How old is this laptop and how long has this problem persisted?
m
l
August 29, 2014 7:58:55 AM

SchizTech said:
OK. If you turn the laptop on it's side and peek in through the air vents under the fan with a flashlight does it look like it's spinning? This could just be a dust problem. If the laptop is just clogged with dust it's easier to remedy than replacing a fan. How old is this laptop and how long has this problem persisted?

Once i send my laptop for a fixer, but now i live in egypt and here the fixers are too damn bad, he half-cleaned it,but the cleaning was tottaly useless, the laptop didnt change at all
My laptop specs :

Samsung np300e5z-s01ae
CPU : Intel core i5 2430M 2.4 GHZ
RAM : 8 GB ( Real rams is 4 i added 4 more )
GPU : Internal : Intel hd graphics 3000 / External : Nvidia GT520MX
Laptop Age : 3 years
m
l
a b G Storage
August 29, 2014 8:05:42 AM

OK. Can you tell if it's spinning or if it might just be dusty though? Since you say you now live in a hot region (Egypt), is the room where you usually keep the laptop kept cool? The "ambient" temperature - the temperature of the air outside the computer does make a difference. Did you start to notice the laptop getting hot right after you moved out there?
m
l
August 29, 2014 8:21:02 AM

SchizTech said:
OK. Can you tell if it's spinning or if it might just be dusty though? Since you say you now live in a hot region (Egypt), is the room where you usually keep the laptop kept cool? The "ambient" temperature - the temperature of the air outside the computer does make a difference. Did you start to notice the laptop getting hot right after you moved out there?

Well once i went playing fifa 14 at night on the outside room in with some air without the external fan, it stuttered too much, i returned and used the external fan and it worked okay, and the room i always use laptop is cool,not hot temp room,and no the laptop started overheating since long time it's not because of here, i used to play dota 2 from long time here in egypt, it was pretty perfect,but 2 years ago i used to play it on a bed,and that made the laptop crazy
m
l
a b G Storage
August 29, 2014 8:27:07 AM

Well you have to be very careful using a laptop on a bed. The cloth covers can obstruct the air flow into the fans and cause the laptop to run hotter. What kind of external fan are you using? A cooling tray like this

Should help a lot and a cooling tray should always be used when on a bed.
m
l
August 29, 2014 8:31:30 AM

SchizTech said:
Well you have to be very careful using a laptop on a bed. The cloth covers can obstruct the air flow into the fans and cause the laptop to run hotter. What kind of external fan are you using? A cooling tray like this

Well i didnt use my laptop on bad since 1.5 years after what happend,but my bro bought the external fan but it sucks the name of it is ( giga max gm-908F ) i want to buy a tough one soon,now i gotta 2 go,see you later bro

m
l
August 29, 2014 10:11:22 AM

SchizTech said:

Hey bro,What do u recommend me to do now?
Shall i full clean my laptop?, and give me name of Best external fans, thanks
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
August 29, 2014 11:03:45 AM

If you can get a can or compressed air to blow the dust out from the air vents, that should help. As to the best coolers, I'm not sure what's available in your area. See what you can get or can get shipped to you and read the reviews.
August 29, 2014 11:13:08 AM

SchizTech said:
If you can get a can or compressed air to blow the dust out from the air vents, that should help. As to the best coolers, I'm not sure what's available in your area. See what you can get or can get shipped to you and read the reviews.

I can find many good kinds of them
I will give u 4 links, tell me if there is anyone of these worth buying

https://www.jumia.com.eg/generic-ice-thin-notebook-cool...

https://www.jumia.com.eg/generic-notebook-cooling-base-...

https://www.jumia.com.eg/generic-n19-143mm-super-silent...

https://www.jumia.com.eg/generic-notebook-cooling-pad-e...

Thanks!
m
l
August 29, 2014 11:24:57 AM

SchizTech said:
The one in the third link is too small for your laptop The second has a slightly smaller fan than the remaining two. The one in the fourth link seems well suited.

https://www.jumia.com.eg/generic-notebook-cooling-pad-e...

Ok thanks, i will think about it and see more fans, thank you anyways, i will put u as best solution :) 
m
l
!