$2500 Gaming Rig, Final Thoughts?

-Implicit

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Hi All,

The time has come to finally build the rig which I have spent quite some time planning and researching. After changing parts a few times, I think I have narrowed it down to a final list. With that being said, I wanted to get a few more opinions and thoughts on it before I place an order.

Ultimatley, the main goal of this build was to build a some-what future proof rig that would allow me to play games on Ultra for the next few years. Having the ability to OC as well is something that I'd like to have to.

Thanks for your feeback in advanced, it's greatly appreciated.

Just to clarify, the PC Parts Picker Total is a bit off, Total Cost for everything is about $2392.12

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($359.79 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($214.00 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($164.36 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($579.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.94 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Memory Express)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.95 @ Vuugo)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.79 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1947.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-29 14:50 EDT-0400

Solution
The 6gb sounds like a better choice, more games are starting to use more and more vram, and if you use a lot of mods etc it'll help too, and with 1440p it'll be better and also at multi monitor setups, the 6gb version is the way tot go for you

-Implicit

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014

I'm aware that the 800 series cards are due to come out next year, however I'm not really keen on waiting another 4-6 months for them.

g-unit1111

Titan

You should not be going cheap on the cooler on a $2K build. You definitely don't want to take an overclock too far and then risk frying your whole build, do you?

I also would not get a Corsair TX series PSU either - get the EVGA G2 or P2 instead - far better PSUs based on a far superior platform.

-Implicit

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014

Getting a 780 Ti rather than the 780 6GB SC ACX brings my total to $2600, a bit over my budget. Are you suggesting I go with the 780 6GB SC ACX and upgrade down the road?

M0j0jojo

Honorable

Are you just going to be gaming?

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I can't really argue with that one but say you're only playing at 1080P, do you think the extra $100 spent on the card is going to make that much of a difference? If you were going 1440P I would definitely say the extra $100 spent on the GPU is warranted, otherwise I'd go SLI which is easily doable on that budget.

@ g unut, I'd rather not oc, since the i7 has a good base clock anyway for the moment, and get the 6gb 780, it'll be a good investment for future gaming, I'd get the cpu cooler later on when the OP wants to get more performance, and not all games support sli, and not all boards run at x16 x16 :/

-Implicit

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014

Hate to sound impatient, but I was originally suppose to build this rig back in January however due to unforseen reasons etc. I am only able to build it now hence why I dont want to wait anymore.

M0j0jojo

Honorable

Okay then, then get a GTX 780 Ti, no point in getting 6GB version of the GTX 780 if your only going to be gaming at 1080P. Heck you can even get a GTX 780 and be happy with that. one GTX 780 can give you 60+ FPs easily on Ultra settings.

-Implicit

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014

1080p as of now, and the rig will be strictly for gaming. I'd consider going up to 1440p down the road but not at least for another year.

g-unit1111

Titan

Future gaming is a huge moot point in factoring in what goes into a build. You simply cannot predict the technology that's going to be out 4 - 5 years down the road and each generation only yields a 5 - 10% improvement over the previous one. And by then 4K will be mainstream technology and the cards that are out now can barely keep up with the resolution - even the ultra high end Titan Blacks. You're better off planning for what's out and available now with the ability to expand as you go along.

But it's easier to buy a cpu cooler than to buy a new gpu :) the OP van save up i a feq weeks for a cpu cooler, but he can't save up a few weeks for a gpu, not to mention the OP hasn't expressed their deaire to oc :/ not saying he won't but it just doesn't seem to be on top of his to do list