PC on a 3,000 dollar budget

Nathan Hejnicki

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
Hey all,

I am in the starting process of putting together a build for my wife. The idea/requirements would be:
Must be able to play the games she likes (WoW and Skyrim) and a few newer ones as time goes on.
Fast for programming on virtual machines, sometimes several at once.
Overall, just.... future proof. I'm obviously fine with upgrading machines over time, but the less I have to do the better. So, the build:
CPU - i7 4790K
MB: AsRock Fatal1ty z97X Killer
RAM: Corsair Vengeance, 16GB (4x4) @ 1600
Storage: Samsung 840s - 128GB as a boot/programs drive, 256GB as a Steam/other games drive, and a 1 TB WD blue 1TB 7200RPM for "other"
Video card: EVGA GeForce 780 Ti w/ 3GB of DDR5 384 Bit
Case: NZXT Phantom 820. She liked the look of it and I don't hate the airflow etc.
PSU: Corsair Ax760i
Optical drive: some generic $20 piece of crap. No need for much.
Monitors: Giving her 2 of my old ones and replacing them with some new Asus ones at a total cost of 269 each.
Keyboard: Apex Steelseries (again, her choice)
Mouse: She has one and likes it.

I'd appreciate any constructive comments on this one. I understand that most of the build is overkill compared to the only-so-good video card, but the idea is to eventually add one or 2 more of the same one in SLI, but for now it will work. Beyond that, please feel free to comment.

Solution
If you don't like the Hero,then Gigabyte GA-Z97X UD5H is an excellent choice.MSI Z97 Gaming 5 is also a great choice.
But ASUS makes some of the best boards and they definitely won't let you down.I have an ASUS board and it works like a dream.
EVGA Supernova G2 1000W is a fully modular PSU,so you don't have to worry about that.
X99 chipset has just lauched,but you don't really need it.That's something to consider buying in like 4-5 years.
i7 4930K and an ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition are also great choices for a CPU and motherboard.

Change the motherboard to an ASUS Maximus VII Hero.
2x8GB of RAM would be better.That way you have room to upgrade to 32GB in future. (Not really needed).
If you want to SLI in the future,then an EVGA Supernova G2 1000W PSU would be a better choice.760W isn't enough for 2x780 Ti.
Also,use the EVGA GTX 780 Ti ACX.That cooler is better than the stock one.
Other than that,the build looks perfect.
All the best. :))

Nathan Hejnicki

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
@Mojo: Haven't had any experience with them. The motherboard (and proc) are the places i'm the most unclear as to what to get. I'm a bit behind on keeping up with the newest Intel stuff since I've been doing AMD stuff for a few years now. Suggestions?

@Luka: As far as the Asus Maximus, I ruled it out solely because I refuse to ever buy anything made by Asus again if I can help it. The RAM, I am thinking I may take you up on that idea. Is the Supernova G2 a modular PSU? She really wants one for cable management. I will switch the video card. Thank you for your replies! Any comments on what I've said here?

Thanks,
Nathan

If you don't like the Hero,then Gigabyte GA-Z97X UD5H is an excellent choice.MSI Z97 Gaming 5 is also a great choice.
But ASUS makes some of the best boards and they definitely won't let you down.I have an ASUS board and it works like a dream.
EVGA Supernova G2 1000W is a fully modular PSU,so you don't have to worry about that.
X99 chipset has just lauched,but you don't really need it.That's something to consider buying in like 4-5 years.
i7 4930K and an ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition are also great choices for a CPU and motherboard.

Solution

Nathan Hejnicki

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

Thanks! Yea I just started looking into the x99 stuff, and I'm thinking that's a bit OP for what I want right now. I'm not a fan of being forced into DDR4, and that seems to be the direction they're going. With next to no DDR4 options available yet, I think that will be down the line. I know a lot of people like Asus, but outside monitors they have lost me as a customer for good. The last mobo I got from them was such trash it has truly made me want nothing to do with them, and if I didn't love my monitors from them so much I'd never think twice about it. I think I'll check out the other motherboards you mentioned. As far as CPU, I'm an enormous fan of my 760i. Would you have anything to say about the same series just a higher wattage for future-proof-ness?

M0j0jojo

Honorable
Well the 6 core 5280K is definitely the cheapest of the new the processor and is considered the best for gaming, as for the motherboard, a Gigabyte X99 UD5 offer tons of features and is also great for overclocking.

Core i7 5820K Gaming performance: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-5960x-haswell-e-cpu,3918-6.html
CPU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117402
MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128750
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ST1XT1374
Everything else you listed for the build is fine, and would be compatible with the X99 Chipset.

You can go with a Corsair AX1200i if you like.