Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

ASUS A88X-PLUS mobo does not have an 8-pin male "CPU" connector to mate with my Corsair CX500M PSU

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Corsair
  • CPUs
  • Systems
  • Motherboards
  • Asus
Last response: in Systems
Share
August 29, 2014 10:02:02 PM

My Corsair CX500M PSU has an 8-pin female connector marked "CPU". My ASUS A88X-PLUS mobo does not have a corresponding 8-pin male connector. I used PCPartPicker to verify that these parts were compatible before I purchased them. I don't get it. Any help on what to do, please?

More about : asus a88x mobo pin male cpu connector mate corsair cx500m psu

August 29, 2014 10:18:37 PM

As per the Corsair manual.... page 5.

Step B: Installing the Corsair power supply

STEP 4. Connect the eight-pin +12V (EPS12V) cable to the motherboard.

A. If your motherboard has an eight-pin +12V socket, connect the eight-pin
cable directly to your motherboard.

B. If your motherboard has a four-pin socket, detach the four-pin from the
eight-pin cable, and then plug this four-pin cable directly to your motherboard.

That's what manuals are for.....
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 29, 2014 11:39:44 PM

And I think you have your male and female mixed up. The plugs on the ends of the PSU cables are male. The motherboard sockets are female. And your board has a four pin cpu socket near the upper corner in between the VRM's and the I/O rear connectors.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 30, 2014 8:07:20 PM

TheDraac said:
As per the Corsair manual.... page 5.

Step B: Installing the Corsair power supply

STEP 4. Connect the eight-pin +12V (EPS12V) cable to the motherboard.

A. If your motherboard has an eight-pin +12V socket, connect the eight-pin
cable directly to your motherboard.

B. If your motherboard has a four-pin socket, detach the four-pin from the
eight-pin cable, and then plug this four-pin cable directly to your motherboard.

That's what manuals are for.....


m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 30, 2014 8:22:23 PM

Is there a reason you quoted TheDraac but didn't add a comment? Did you solve the issue?
m
0
l
August 30, 2014 8:46:47 PM

TheDraac said:
As per the Corsair manual.... page 5.

Step B: Installing the Corsair power supply

STEP 4. Connect the eight-pin +12V (EPS12V) cable to the motherboard.

A. If your motherboard has an eight-pin +12V socket, connect the eight-pin
cable directly to your motherboard.

B. If your motherboard has a four-pin socket, detach the four-pin from the
eight-pin cable, and then plug this four-pin cable directly to your motherboard.

That's what manuals are for.....


-------
Hello TheDraac, Ouch! - per your last sentence. I thank you for for responding. Perhaps I should add a few items that I didn't think that I needed on my question. One, there was no user manual in the carton. Was there supposed to be? Or is it on line? Two, prior to this query, I looked all over the Corsair site and saw no online user manuals. There was no web reference in the packaging either. Could you please tell me where it is? ie, where you found the quote for me? I have a registered account and still can't find any doc.

Now for the nitty gritty pertaining to your answer. My mobo does have a 4 -pin socket, just as darbreeze said. I didn't know that the 8-pin plug could be bifurcated. With a little force, it did. now four pins have "CPU" on the plug and four pins are blank on the plug. I'm assuming by the statement that you provided, it doesn't matter which plug half gets inserted. They both fit. Is my assumption correct?
m
0
l
August 30, 2014 8:55:03 PM

darkbreeze said:
And I think you have your male and female mixed up. The plugs on the ends of the PSU cables are male. The motherboard sockets are female. And your board has a four pin cpu socket near the upper corner in between the VRM's and the I/O rear connectors.


Sorry. I saw the pins on the motherboard and called it male. I saw the connectors on the PSU and called it female. I guess once pins are placed in a socket and connectors are placed in a plug, they reverse orientation.


m
0
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 30, 2014 9:22:45 PM

Yeah, no worries. Also, yes you can use either half provided you install it with the side that has the clip on the side that has the matching lip on the socket. I'll find the manual for you right now.
Share
August 31, 2014 12:34:32 AM

Looks like darkbreeze took care of all your answers for me..... ;) 
m
0
l
August 31, 2014 10:52:21 PM

TheDraac said:
Looks like darkbreeze took care of all your answers for me..... ;) 


Thank you for your help! You are darkbreeze are most helpful. :) 
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 31, 2014 10:54:37 PM

Did you get it going? All good now?
m
0
l
!