4790 k Coolers, temps and overclocks

BradleyJames

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
I have a 4790k with a Cooler Master Nepton 280l on it. Im just curious as to what other coolers people are using, and what overclocks and temps you are getting. Please reply with voltage. Ive been able to get mine stable at 4.7 with 1.26 volts. Im not sure if i can go higher, because temps are getting a little on the high side when running intelburn test. I know that intelburn will reach way higher temps than any normal computer usage will.

Right now, im sitting at 4.7, 1.26 volts. Intel burn reaches 85 celcius, while normal usage is about 65.

There you go:

CPU: 4790k
MoBo: ASROCK Z97 EXTREME4
cooler: H110
Case: Phantom 530 w/o extra fans
Room temp: 23C(w/AC) and 32-38C(w/o AC)

Current stable setup:
OC: 4.5GHz stable
VCore 1.25-1.28V
idle temps: 30-35C
Full load from gaming/ rendering: 60-64C
100% continous load from Prime95 small FFT: 67-71C

Max OC tried (stable):
OC: 4.7GHz
VCore: 1.31V
idle temps: 35-38C
Full load from gaming/ rendering: not checked
100% continous load from Prime95 small FFT: 69-74C

I am getting temps of around 30 degrees in idle and 65 degrees at 100% utilization in AIDA64 and in Prime95 I max out at 82 Degrees. on Core i7 4790K Asus Maximus Hero VII all bios setting at auto except for Core voltage which has been set to manual and dropped to 1.13. Processor running at 4.4GHZ

I have a corsair AIR 540 case with 3 fans pulling air in from the front and a Corsair H100 in push/pull chucking air out of the case and a rear fan also extracting air. Ambient temps outside the house is 22 degrees. Should I be getting better/lower temp values? I may just be fretting over nothing as my 2600K ran cooler at 4.4ghz than this and idle was in the 20's.

Kind regards,

vMax

kair153

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
haswell are notorious for running hot : (

but what kind of fans are you using in the setup? alot of people use incorrect fans for the situation so perhaps you're having an airflow issue

[/img]

I am using corsair sp120's on the radiator 4 in a push pull at the top of the case and in the front case corsair af 120's three for intake and one corsair af140 at the back as an exhausts.

Thanks for the quick reply and pic via link... not the best pic but should give you a view of whats going on.

BradleyJames

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014

I think those temps are fine, haswell, devils canyon are very hot. Prime 95 after about half an hour sky rockets temps. Currently i am at 4.6 ghz @ 1.2 volts and seem to have found the sweet spot of not having voltage too high. My max temps are 72 after an hour of prime 95. Also i updated bios to latest, not sure if that helped or not. keep in mind that i have alot of airflow in my case ( 760t) and a 280 mm liquid cooler, so my temps might be a little lower.

good questions though, thats why i started this thread, because its a new chip and runs hot so i wanted others to share their cooling solutions, overclocks and what coolers they are using

Hi Bradley, I opened a free account with Photobucket and once you have uploaded a picture on the left hand side it gives you tailor made code which once clicked allows you to paste straight to the forum thread and your picture appears...

Kind regards,

Varinder

Thanks Bradley, yes it would be great to understand what people are getting on temps with Devils Canyon. I feel a bit better now that I understand your setup and it is close to mine and I am on the 1104 bios for the Hero VII. Was thinking of going for a new cooling solution like the Phobya or Alphacool solution but think I will hold of now.

Fixed
thank you all you guys. Being a super noob I have a ton to learn and have a long way to go before i know what i am doing...

Anyway, resetting the bios settings to default and letting the bios (auto) handle Vcore seems to have made a huge impact. Not exactly sure what is really going on but will start to learn more and take things slowly. After defaulting everything the core i7-4790K is running at 4.4Ghz and idleing at 25 degrees and Prime95 for an hour at max 62 Degrees. Before in Prime95 it was hitting 80 degrees plus. My changing the vcore to manual and dropping it first to 1.136 and then 1.168 was obviously not a good idea as the temps went through the roof. Letting the board handle vcore in auto seems to have made a huge difference.

Thanks to NBSeen for your suggestion...