Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Watch Dogs Low FPS R9 290X

Tags:
  • Video Games
  • Low FPS
  • FPS
  • Graphics
Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 30, 2014 12:34:31 PM

I've bought Watch dogs since it came out and I've played it on my old computer with a nVidia 550 Ti and a phenom II and it run pretty decent on low graphics maybe 30-40 FPS.

But the thing is that on my new PC it runs like crap, 5 FPS on max graphics and tops 30 FPS on lowest. These are my specs:

R9 290X 4GB
FX 8530 @ 4.4Ghz
8GB RAM @ 2333MHz
1080p Monitor
AMD Catalyst latest drivers 14.2

So yeah it's running like shit and I can't figure out what settings I should use to run it fine... I've looked around and apparently PhysX which could be the problem gets auto disabled if using AMD GPU so that's not it.

More about : watch dogs low fps 290x

August 30, 2014 12:40:27 PM

Turn of v-sync and
how much ram does ur system have?
What PSU u using?

I would recommend that u make sure all ur drivers are up to date and ur device manager has no issuers.
m
0
l
August 31, 2014 11:46:52 AM

Thiruy97 said:
Turn of v-sync and
how much ram does ur system have?
What PSU u using?

I would recommend that u make sure all ur drivers are up to date and ur device manager has no issuers.


Yeah forgot to mention that, 8GB (x2 4GB@2333MHz) and of course I have Vsync off. I have a corsair CX600 600W PSU
m
0
l
Related resources
September 1, 2014 3:39:03 AM

Watch Dogs is not optimized for AMD cards. Crossfiring AMD cards messes it even more.
There are lot of lag spikes and driving is laggy as hell in the game itself.
m
1
l
September 1, 2014 4:35:32 AM

I can confirm what anikkket said, and I own a 290x too. There just is no way to run that game maxed out on AMD, and high settings produce spikes and stuttering every now and then, or screen tearing with vsync off.

Get even a medium tier Nvidia and the situation turns drastically to your favor...
It's just Ubisoft supposedly having some kind of contract with Nvidia, as any of their AAA titles are heavily green-team oriented.

As a side note, physx can be disabled only if an in-game or configuration file setting allows to do so. If a software requiring physx doesn't find an Nvidia card in the system, it simply offloads the work to the cpu, and in a bad way too...
m
0
l
September 1, 2014 4:44:40 PM

Latest drivers version is 14.4, but they released them quite ago, try the latest beta 14.7 drivers, they should have some hotfixes for wach dogs.
m
0
l
September 1, 2014 7:06:55 PM

Vynavill said:
I can confirm what anikkket said, and I own a 290x too. There just is no way to run that game maxed out on AMD, and high settings produce spikes and stuttering every now and then, or screen tearing with vsync off.

Get even a medium tier Nvidia and the situation turns drastically to your favor...
It's just Ubisoft supposedly having some kind of contract with Nvidia, as any of their AAA titles are heavily green-team oriented.

As a side note, physx can be disabled only if an in-game or configuration file setting allows to do so. If a software requiring physx doesn't find an Nvidia card in the system, it simply offloads the work to the cpu, and in a bad way too...


First, thanks for the responses everyone

No my overclock ain't stable cause I run other games perfectly fine, I'm not using crossfire as someone talked about it, only a single 290x. But yeah I'm not looking foward to maxed settings but at least a constant 80 FPS according to the system I have.. But yeah if you say PhysX ain't turning off and going directly to CPU it's obvious that's the reason, I need to turn physx off somehow, got any idea how to?
m
0
l

Best solution

September 1, 2014 11:34:38 PM

It's pretty simple, actually.
You can't turn them off...not entirely at least.
I haven't been playing it in a long time, but I think there was some option hidden into the configuration files. It should turn off the most advanced settings, allowing you to run it a bit smoother, but no, unless you're at low settings, 80fps for an AMD on that game while keeping a nice resolution and detail level is a miracle...

Playing with settings is really your best bet, and at least the game looks good anyway even on medium ones, if you can afford the random fps drop that hits you every now and then :) 
Share
September 2, 2014 11:15:41 AM

Vynavill said:
It's pretty simple, actually.
You can't turn them off...not entirely at least.
I haven't been playing it in a long time, but I think there was some option hidden into the configuration files. It should turn off the most advanced settings, allowing you to run it a bit smoother, but no, unless you're at low settings, 80fps for an AMD on that game while keeping a nice resolution and detail level is a miracle...

Playing with settings is really your best bet, and at least the game looks good anyway even on medium ones, if you can afford the random fps drop that hits you every now and then :) 


Yeah I guess I'll just stick to it, the game came out way shittier than I thought anyway, expected a much better gameplay I don't know if I'm the only on disappointed, I hope GTA V on PC wont be as shitty
m
0
l
!