Solved

How a TV can stream video from a central server? Please help me ,desperate

Hi There everyone! :)
I have five TV's at different locations, and what I'd like to do is have them play the same content simulateneously, so I think the best solution is to set up a central media server and they all stream off that.

Been spending a bit of time and what I understand I need is
-A server with a dedicated, static IP - configured as a media server.. Not sure if we use Windows or Linux? Like an Xbox media server?
-Wifi streaming box to each tv
-Modems near each tv with broadband internet connection

But I am confused how the tv would be configured to connect to the central server, which is remote (off site). Do I need a dedicated IP of some sort?


If anyone can please help clarify what I need, that would be tremendously appreciated. Thank you everyone, have a safe weekend!
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about stream video central server desperate
  1. Best answer
    There are many ways to set up a media server and TV's in your house. I will just tell you what I have done in my house (a simplified version actually) as it is fairly generic.
    I have an internet connection that comes into a modem in my house. Connected to the modem is my wifi router. Connected to the router is my Media Server. I use Windows Media Server as my media server. I have 4 TV's around the house. Each TV has an Xbox 360 next to it that is used as an extender (that means it can access the media server and play the content from it). Most of my Xbox's are wired back to the router, but you can connect them wirelessly. Also I can stream Netflix with the Xbox's if I want to since I have internet access at the router.
    Some things to consider:
    1) Streaming media wirelessly puts a load on your wireless router. If you try to have several TV's streaming at once, you will most likely have a bad experience. It is best to try to wire some of them. You can use things like ethernet over COAX if you have COAX cable in the room, or Powerline adapters if you need to.
    2) Depending on your media server type and the type of TV's you have you may be able to play media through the TV without a box, like the Xbox, sitting next to the TV.
    3) After you come up with what you want to do, make sure you run it by someone in the know so they can look at your design to make sure it will work like you want it to.
  2. Wenith said:
    Hi There everyone! :)
    I have five TV's at different locations, and what I'd like to do is have them play the same content simulateneously, so I think the best solution is to set up a central media server and they all stream off that.

    Been spending a bit of time and what I understand I need is
    -A server with a dedicated, static IP - configured as a media server.. Not sure if we use Windows or Linux? Like an Xbox media server?
    -Wifi streaming box to each tv
    -Modems near each tv with broadband internet connection

    But I am confused how the tv would be configured to connect to the central server, which is remote (off site). Do I need a dedicated IP of some sort?


    If anyone can please help clarify what I need, that would be tremendously appreciated. Thank you everyone, have a safe weekend!


    So, when you say five TVs at different locations, they are not all in the same building?
  3. It does not matter whether they are in a same building, or across the globe. As long as your TVs can reach your server, their physical location does not matter.

    So - start with what your TVs support for media playing. It will be easier if they can play network stream. If the only supported protocol is DLNA, then you have to make a VPN so that the clients (TVs) can reach the server. You will probably need some extra hardware (or clever router) at TV side.
  4. Alabalcho said:
    It does not matter whether they are in a same building, or across the globe. As long as your TVs can reach your server, their physical location does not matter.

    So - start with what your TVs support for media playing. It will be easier if they can play network stream. If the only supported protocol is DLNA, then you have to make a VPN so that the clients (TVs) can reach the server. You will probably need some extra hardware (or clever router) at TV side.


    Hi Everyone , Original Poster here - Im confused how all the TVs can reach the server , does that need a Static IP or VPN? Or does a program like XBMC or Plex get around that requirement ?Thanks!
  5. Alabalcho said:
    It does not matter whether they are in a same building, or across the globe. As long as your TVs can reach your server, their physical location does not matter.

    So - start with what your TVs support for media playing. It will be easier if they can play network stream. If the only supported protocol is DLNA, then you have to make a VPN so that the clients (TVs) can reach the server. You will probably need some extra hardware (or clever router) at TV side.


    That's just stupid. It matters a ton.

    If he is just streaming throughout his home, then the internet is a complete non-issue. Just set up some DLNA media serving software (Tversity, Mezzmo, Serviio, etc.) on a 24/7 box and then just use the clients to access the Media Database.

    If you want to go outside the security of your home network then a whole different set of circumstances are introduced.
  6. Hi All,
    Original poster here.. Is what I should be using Plex? Thank you
  7. Wenith said:
    Hi All,
    Original poster here.. Is what I should be using Plex? Thank you


    I am not a Plex genius but I would think it would be worth a shot. You would install it on your media server and I know it can be configured to allow streaming of media to devices outside of your home through the internet. Not sure what it takes to accomplish that, though. Tons of people use it and I am sure a quick visit to the Plex website will give you all of the info you'd need.

    It'll allow you to set a library and manage your files locally as well as remotely.
Ask a new question

Read More

network streaming Networking tv streaming TV wifi network WiFi windows media server network tv Servers Streaming Windows Media Server