GT 620 Over Heating

Deno01

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
I have a Dell Inspiron 530 system. With the following:
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (Upgraded myself from a 440 last Sept.)
RAM - 2 GB
OS - Vista 32-bit
VGA - GT 620 (Added the same time as CPU upgrade)

I play Ghost Recon Phantoms (F2P, TPS) from time to time.

I used to play the game for a couple hours, but now, over night, my VGA card gets so hot the system restarts. I first thought it was my CPU. I remove the side from my case and placed a 12", 110v house fan there to blow in on everything. I first started running it on low, thinking that should keep everything very cool. Still, my system restarts upon playing this game. I shut the computer down, and then turn the fan onto med. to cool everything down. Reboot, stick my hand inside the case to feel the heat, and where it might be coming from. Everything seems fine. I start that game, next thing I know, system restarts. I shut system down, and removed all power cables. I reach inside the system to feel how much heat is coming off the CPU. To my surprise, it is cool, I can touch it. It doesn't feel like the system has been on. I touch the heat sink on my VGA card and it is very uncomfortable. I can play the game, with the fan running on high, but still the VGA card gets very warm. I have stuck my hand under the fan on this card, and I do not feel any air flowing. I know the fan is running. I have touched the fan, to put just a little resistance against it, and it doesn't suddenly stop.

Summary: I have a house fan, running on high, blowing in on my system and still my GT 620 card gets hot. (A fan that moves air across a room) If this fan is not running on high setting, sitting maybe 1' from my system, the VGA card will get to the point of shutting down my system. Any solutions?

*I can not afford a new system, and saving to buy one, is not possible at this point in time.*

Yous

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
When was the last time you got it cleaned thoroughly? Dust can gather up and block any kind of airflow, leading to this problem. If you don't know how to clean it, take it to someone who can and this issue SHOULD be fixed. If not, then we'll take it further.

Deno01

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
I cleaned it about a 2 weeks ago or so. I did not use canned air because I didn't have any, but I did blow out all the dust, and then took a dry, lent free cloth, and wiped off the heatsink for the CPU and the graphics card. I have looked several times, and I do not see any dust built up anywhere.

The case has very bad cooling, but as I said, I have not had the problem before. The case only has one exhaust fan, and then a fan on the CPU heatsink. But even with the house fan blowing directly onto the card, the heatsink gets hot enough that it is uncomfortable to touch.

I have tried watching movies, that doesnt seem to bother the video card at all. Is it possible that the game is just to taxing for my card now? There was a recent update, but I wouldnt think that it should cause the card to over heat to the point it shut down my system now.

Yous

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
Do you mind monitoring your GPU temperatures while you're watching the movie and while you're playing the game and let me know what you come up with? Also, what's the game that you're trying to run?

Deno01

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
The game is: Ghost Recon Phantoms. It is a free to play, third person shooter.

Minimum Requirements are: Graphic card: 256 MB DirectX-compliant, Shader Model 3.0-enabled video card

All the information I have gathered seem to say that neither the motherboard or EVGA card has a built in thermostat. (I hope that is the word I am looking for)

All I can really tell is: A couple minutes after the game loads, (Not actually having to be playing and shooting) the heatsink on the card is so hot that I have to move my finger after just a second.

This is while having a table fan blowing in on it. This is the exact fan, but it is pretty much the same.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-12-Oscillating-Premium-Table-Fan-D12900/19861416

If the fan is running on medium setting or low, the card will overheat to the point of shutting the system down. I have not tried to push it to the point of shutting down while the fan is running on high, but I am sure that it would.