Solved

Hyper 212 Evo Not Cooling FX 8120 Well

I recently overclocked my FX 8120 to 4.0 GHz with about 1.3v. However, my temps were insane. I was getting over 55C on idle, so I had to turn off the overclock. I'm currently getting about 35C idle without the overclock. Ambient temperature is 25C. Any ideas as to what could be causing temperatures to shoot up so high when I touch the vCore?
34 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hyper 212 evo cooling 8120
  1. Best answer
    The 8120 is like a volcano you just touch the settings it it heats up , and the EVO is a budget cooler , not a good match for 8120.
  2. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    The 8120 is like a volcano you just touch the settings it it heats up , and the EVO is a budget cooler , not a good match for 8120.


    Hmm. That's unfortunate. Will the stock settings bottleneck my 770? When I gather the spare cash, I will see about upgrading to the 8350 and (hopefully) a better cooling solution. I don't have $250 to spend on the 8350 and a better cooling apparatus at the moment, unfortunately.
  3. No , the 770 will pair with the 8120 just fine.
  4. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    No , the 770 will pair with the 8120 just fine.


    Okay. Thanks a lot. I know this isn't exactly the thread topic, but could you recommend your pick for a cooler that would be a good match for the 8350? Preferably, one that won't break the bank.
  5. Depends on case width for cooler and budget?
  6. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Depends on case width for cooler and budget?


    I think the case--excluding the width of the two side panels--is 17.5cm wide. The Evo's heatsink just barely fits in my case, if you can make use of a relative measurement.

    Edit: Budget would probably be $100, maximum. I'd like to keep it as low as possible though, naturally.
  7. That's a challenge because the case isn't very wide.

    Could try some MX4 thermal paste.
  8. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    That's a challenge because the case isn't very wide.

    Could try some MX4 thermal paste.


    Really? I always thought this case was wide enough for most anything. It seems to be just as wide as other cases I have seen. What is the "standard" width of cases?

    Also, I am using Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste.
  9. QuantumCD said:
    I recently overclocked my FX 8120 to 4.0 GHz with about 1.3v. However, my temps were insane. I was getting over 55C on idle, so I had to turn off the overclock. I'm currently getting about 35C idle without the overclock. Ambient temperature is 25C. Any ideas as to what could be causing temperatures to shoot up so high when I touch the vCore?


    Seems crazy high sell that thing and just get a 8320-8350fx. Sorry but its just not worth keeping it.
  10. QuantumCD said:
    SR-71 Blackbird said:
    The 8120 is like a volcano you just touch the settings it it heats up , and the EVO is a budget cooler , not a good match for 8120.


    Hmm. That's unfortunate. Will the stock settings bottleneck my 770? When I gather the spare cash, I will see about upgrading to the 8350 and (hopefully) a better cooling solution. I don't have $250 to spend on the 8350 and a better cooling apparatus at the moment, unfortunately.


    I would say it is also the 8350 is only 180$ and a 212+ is good enough for it.
  11. jdwii said:
    QuantumCD said:
    I recently overclocked my FX 8120 to 4.0 GHz with about 1.3v. However, my temps were insane. I was getting over 55C on idle, so I had to turn off the overclock. I'm currently getting about 35C idle without the overclock. Ambient temperature is 25C. Any ideas as to what could be causing temperatures to shoot up so high when I touch the vCore?


    Seems crazy high sell that thing and just get a 8320-8350fx. Sorry but its just not worth keeping it.


    I just had to sink a ton of my spare cash into something else besides my PC :(. It will probably be a few months until I can pick up an 8350 and a decent cooler. Besides, I doubt anyone would pay much for an old, heavily-used 8120 and a cheap Evo heatsink.
  12. QuantumCD said:
    jdwii said:
    QuantumCD said:
    I recently overclocked my FX 8120 to 4.0 GHz with about 1.3v. However, my temps were insane. I was getting over 55C on idle, so I had to turn off the overclock. I'm currently getting about 35C idle without the overclock. Ambient temperature is 25C. Any ideas as to what could be causing temperatures to shoot up so high when I touch the vCore?


    Seems crazy high sell that thing and just get a 8320-8350fx. Sorry but its just not worth keeping it.


    I just had to sink a ton of my spare cash into something else besides my PC :(. It will probably be a few months until I can pick up an 8350 and a decent cooler. Besides, I doubt anyone would pay much for an old, heavily-used 8120 and a cheap Evo heatsink.


    What i'm trying to say is that 212+ is plenty for a 8350fx as i own both. The 770 is my opionen is to much for a 8120 which games lower than a 1100T that i owned and it bottlenecked the 770 a decent amount i saw a big boost from getting this CPU.
  13. jdwii said:
    QuantumCD said:
    jdwii said:
    QuantumCD said:
    I recently overclocked my FX 8120 to 4.0 GHz with about 1.3v. However, my temps were insane. I was getting over 55C on idle, so I had to turn off the overclock. I'm currently getting about 35C idle without the overclock. Ambient temperature is 25C. Any ideas as to what could be causing temperatures to shoot up so high when I touch the vCore?


    Seems crazy high sell that thing and just get a 8320-8350fx. Sorry but its just not worth keeping it.


    I just had to sink a ton of my spare cash into something else besides my PC :(. It will probably be a few months until I can pick up an 8350 and a decent cooler. Besides, I doubt anyone would pay much for an old, heavily-used 8120 and a cheap Evo heatsink.


    What i'm trying to say is that 212+ is plenty for a 8350fx as i own both. The 770 is my opionen is to much for a 8120 which games lower than a 1100T that i owned and it bottlenecked the 770 a decent amount i saw a big boost from getting this CPU.


    Thanks for the input. I'll probably still want a good cooler, maybe even liquid. I eventually want to do SLI with my 770 too, so I don't know if that will change the CPU requirements (overclock).
  14. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    That's a challenge because the case isn't very wide.

    Could try some MX4 thermal paste.


    What about an H60? I'm not really an authority on coolers though, nor do I know what kind of temps that would deliver with an OC'ed 8350.
  15. H-60 is the liquid equivalent of the hyper212 EVO. For any real gains in a case that won't support a dual radiator such as a h-100i or better, your best bet is the h-80i or nzxt Kraken x40/41 which are double thick single rads and when used push/pull come very close or actually beat the cooling capability of a h-100i.
  16. Karadjgne said:
    H-60 is the liquid equivalent of the hyper212 EVO. For any real gains in a case that won't support a dual radiator such as a h-100i or better, your best bet is the h-80i or nzxt Kraken x40/41 which are double thick single rads and when used push/pull come very close or actually beat the cooling capability of a h-100i.


    Hmm... those are pretty pricey. I would have to think about it. A lot of people seem to think the 212 Evo and H60 are plenty for overclocking an 8350. What is your opinion on them as budget options?
  17. Well plenty is not what i meant it gets the job done with Prime 95 for 6 hours my CPU would get up to 58-59C at only 1.3125V(just got this CPU 3 months ago) and 4.3Ghz. A water cooler is probably needed like a CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 or a Noctua NH-D14 heat-sink to do better.

    Edit it runs cool for gaming though if you don't care if its 95% stable you can at probably do a higher OC with more voltage and be fine for gaming around 50C at my settings i have a stable build on prime(6 hours 58-60C) while only being around 38-42C in gaming such as BF4-watch dogs-Crysis 3. Gets to 52C pretty quick though for handbrake.
  18. I have the 8350FX with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo along with 5 fans with a full ATX tower. Stays cool for days and no need to push more than the turbo 4.2GHz at the moment. Heat is inevitable when pushing your PC to it's limit so don't over think it. Everyone has their preference but I find the hyper 212 evo perfect for the budget and the 5 case fans just make things better. If you have the money go big on a $60-$80 heatsink my friend.
    I know someone with this monster heatsink and he's loved it since day 1 for $50
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1YH1Z13764&cm_re=zalman_heatsink-_-35-118-133-_-Product
  19. The h-60/212 coolers are 180w capable. The fx8350 is 125w to start with. That only leaves you with @60w worth of OC, or about 4.4 for normal usage, 4.2 under prime95/IBT before temps start breaching 70°C. Intel users or fx6300 users have it easier since their cpu's are less than 90w, and you could punish the new pentium with its 53w dual cores. To get speeds in the 4.6+ range and still maintain temps in the 50's, your really looking at coolers like the Kraken x41 or nh-d14 or equivalent.
  20. Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I recently discovered my CPU only has a TDP of 95W. I'm guessing this could be the reason I'm having issues with performance in CPU intensive games/overclocking? Regardless, I want to replace it with an 8350 as soon as I can. Extraneous expenses just keep coming up. :(
  21. QuantumCD said:
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I recently discovered my CPU only has a TDP of 95W. I'm guessing this could be the reason I'm having issues with performance in CPU intensive games/overclocking? Regardless, I want to replace it with an 8350 as soon as I can. Extraneous expenses just keep coming up. :(


    The fx8350 is awesome but my M5affx pro r2.0 board is ran at its max to use the power of that processor. The socket temp may be a bit higher than expected for my amd board and fx8350 but the core temps are always within reason. I wouldn't be opposed to trying out a different heatsink if you didn't want the bulky square design of cooler master. Just make sure your case is transferring air out effectively or else your case temps could be making matters worse. I would really like to learn more about applying VRM/NB fans or adding another cpu fan to my cooler master evo.
  22. Smiff429 said:
    QuantumCD said:
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I recently discovered my CPU only has a TDP of 95W. I'm guessing this could be the reason I'm having issues with performance in CPU intensive games/overclocking? Regardless, I want to replace it with an 8350 as soon as I can. Extraneous expenses just keep coming up. :(


    The fx8350 is awesome but my M5affx pro r2.0 board is ran at its max to use the power of that processor. The socket temp may be a bit higher than expected for my amd board and fx8350 but the core temps are always within reason. I wouldn't be opposed to trying out a different heatsink if you didn't want the bulky square design of cooler master. Just make sure your case is transferring air out effectively or else your case temps could be making matters worse. I would really like to learn more about applying VRM/NB fans or adding another cpu fan to my cooler master evo.

    What are your temps, exactly? Because mine get up to 55C under load without an overclock... I'm thinking about reseating the heatsink just to be sure, but it is covering the whole surface evenly and is secured firmly. I already reseated it once to no avail.

    I just find it slightly odd that my temperatures are getting so high. I'm idling around 35C which isn't that much warmer than my ambient/case temperature of 29C. It shoots up to 40C or so under light load (using Visual Studio or other apps that utilize 20-30% CPU). However, when I fire up BF4 or a CPU intensive task (60-70% CPU), my temperatures rocket up to 55C. I'm worried that my CPU is throttling at those temperatures, causing performance loss.
  23. With ambient at 29, your temps are just fine
  24. Karadjgne said:
    With ambient at 29, your temps are just fine

    Hmm. Just a bit disappointed that my CPU is topping out and possibly reducing performance to prevent it from overheating. I guess if/when I pick up a new CPU, I will try and get a more powerful cooler.
  25. Are you concerned about your socket temp or CPU core temps? Like I said, with my and setup my boards socket runs hotter than usual and I found that out the hard way. However, my cores are always within the normal ranges with my cooler master hyper 212 evo hear sink.
  26. I've also know people that push that temp to its limits all the time for years and they're just fine. Overall a nice heatsink, good mobo cooling for VRM/NB and SB, and good airflow in and out should be enough to keep everything under control.
  27. Smiff429 said:
    I've also know people that push that temp to its limits all the time for years and they're just fine. Overall a nice heatsink, good mobo cooling for VRM/NB and SB, and good airflow in and out should be enough to keep everything under control.

    I'm not really concerned about my hardware being damaged (usually stays between 52-55C, never goes above 55C, even after hours of max load). However, I'm not really happy with performance, mainly in BF4. My friend has the same GPU as me and an i5, and he's pushing 70 FPS on Ultra, whereas I'm getting 20-30 FPS no matter my video settings. I'm concluding that it's the CPU throttling because of the CPU only staying at 60% load or so (on all cores). Unfortunately, I don't have the spare cash right now to pick up an i5 and a new Intel board.
  28. Apples and oranges. Bf4 single player is heavily single threaded, of course Intel is gonna rock there, it's bf4 multi-player that really takes advantage of multi-core. Also, the i5 is probably 20w or so lower TDP, so with identical coolers running identical gpu', the i5 will OC faster, resulting in slightly higher fps. There are also, contrary to popular beliefs, differences in mobo's, not just cpus. Some mobo's use slightly better cmos, buss lanes, chipsets etc, resulting in faster travel of data between ram, cpu, ssd/hdd. All that too can result in higher fps. Sounds like your friend has gotten a good, well balanced combo, whereas yours isn't. TDP for your cpu is 63, I believe, so you could run flat out at 55 all day long and not even start to think about throttle backs
  29. Karadjgne said:
    Apples and oranges. Bf4 single player is heavily single threaded, of course Intel is gonna rock there, it's bf4 multi-player that really takes advantage of multi-core. Also, the i5 is probably 20w or so lower TDP, so with identical coolers running identical gpu', the i5 will OC faster, resulting in slightly higher fps. There are also, contrary to popular beliefs, differences in mobo's, not just cpus. Some mobo's use slightly better cmos, buss lanes, chipsets etc, resulting in faster travel of data between ram, cpu, ssd/hdd. All that too can result in higher fps. Sounds like your friend has gotten a good, well balanced combo, whereas yours isn't. TDP for your cpu is 63, I believe, so you could run flat out at 55 all day long and not even start to think about throttle backs

    About the 55, I know that it won't hurt things, but I'm pretty sure my CPU is actively throttling its speed to make sure it doesn't get above 55, hence the performance loss. And I'm well aware that my setup isn't exactly the best, but I just find it odd that people I talk to in-game (BF4) are getting 80-90 FPS on Ultra with an 8350 and a 770. One guy even had an 8120, and he was getting a "rock-solid 60 FPS" with a 770. Is my motherboard really going to slow things down that much? That's a 30-40 FPS difference.
  30. No way your cpu is throttling back to stay at 55.if anything, it may be the gpu throttling back due to high temperatures @90. It's possible you have lousy airflow in the case and end up recirculating the hot air through the cpu/gpu, making things progressively worse.
  31. Karadjgne said:
    No way your cpu is throttling back to stay at 55.if anything, it may be the gpu throttling back due to high temperatures @90. It's possible you have lousy airflow in the case and end up recirculating the hot air through the cpu/gpu, making things progressively worse.

    Really? Odd. Maybe there is something else causing the abysmal performance I'm getting then. As for case airflow, I have two fans--one on the top for the CPU, and another on the bottom front for the GPU. There is a fan on the back for hot air coming from the CPU, and the GPU has its own outtake. I don't think there is much of an issue with case airflow.
  32. Gpu has its own out take? You have a reference design gpu?
  33. Karadjgne said:
    Gpu has its own out take? You have a reference design gpu?

    Sorry, I may have used the wrong term there. Not a GPU expert. I meant that the air on the bottom of the case that is brought in by the front case intake (push?) fan is sucked in by the fans on the GPU and pushed out the back of the GPU. I believe it's a Windforce 3X cooler.
  34. However, the GPU temperatures never get above 70C, even under load. So I think the GPU is receiving more than adequate cooling.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Cooling FX 8120 Evo