FX 6300 Overclock Newb Questions/Input

tony1-3-9

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
Hey all, first im new to the forums and and on my 1st pc build. Anyways after doing loads of research I have decided to overclock my fx 6300 for gaming, I do plan to get a hd7950 along with it, so want to maximize my gaming experience. I have managed to overclock to 4.5Ghz and would like some input, is it safe at current voltages, are my temps ok, is it stable? I ran P95 Small ffts for just over 3 hours and the following image is of my temps and voltages, I have also uploaded idel temps/voltage and my bios settings. Any suggestions welcome

11vktj6.jpg

ji2xvs.jpg

156s7te.jpg

hu3g5j.jpg

ra2jnm.jpg

Is 3 hours P95 enough for gaming only? I don't think games use the cpu 100% so im hoping you guys think its ok. To get 4.5 stable I needed to get about 1.41vcore, with LLC set to regular I would have to set vcore at 1.45 in bios and once cpu is under load the vcore drops to 1.404 but the idle vcore worried me, so I have set LLC to extreme and set the vcore to 1.31 in bios, it then shows in cpuz at 1.33esh volts at idle which im more comfortable with and under 100% load it stays at 1.416v sometimes dropping to 1.404, is it ok to apply the voltage likes this with extreme LLC?
Thanks in advance for all input

P.S Im completely new to forums and didn't really know how to upload photos, if there is a better way to do it please let me know

Solution
Welcome to Tom's!

Did you do both a Small FFTs and a Blend test in Prime95? Both are important.

Voltage is a little on the high side (requirements are different with every chip though) and Extreme LLC always makes me a little nervous, but your temps look good and there's no sign of voltage spikes after 3 hours of stress testing (assuming you had HWiNFO open the entire time) so it should be fine.

Opinions differ wildly on how long you should stress test. Some say 30 minutes, some say 3 hours, some say 6, some say 24 or even more. Personally, I test for 3 hours with both Small FFTs and Blend, and follow it up with a day of the most intensive usage that's still normal for me. Sometimes I'll add a couples of passes in Memtest86+, but...

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
Welcome to Tom's!

Did you do both a Small FFTs and a Blend test in Prime95? Both are important.

Voltage is a little on the high side (requirements are different with every chip though) and Extreme LLC always makes me a little nervous, but your temps look good and there's no sign of voltage spikes after 3 hours of stress testing (assuming you had HWiNFO open the entire time) so it should be fine.

Opinions differ wildly on how long you should stress test. Some say 30 minutes, some say 3 hours, some say 6, some say 24 or even more. Personally, I test for 3 hours with both Small FFTs and Blend, and follow it up with a day of the most intensive usage that's still normal for me. Sometimes I'll add a couples of passes in Memtest86+, but most RAM issues will be revealed by a Prime95 Blend test.
That'll weed out 99% of the issues. After that, it's up to you if you're okay with 99% or if you want 99.9% or 99.99% stability.

Solution

tony1-3-9

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

Firstly I accidently hit pick as solution button thinking it was the reply button, as im new i can be expected to make these mistakes:) but im sure it wont fo any harm to the thread, secondly thanks for your reply and advice, yes extreme llc does worry me slightly, under full load it stays a constant voltage for the majority of the torture test @1.416v but on odd occasions drops to 1.404, now at idle it stays around 1.33 but jumps up and down depending on what tasks I may be doing or what load the cpu is under, is it safe for the vcore to go from 1.33 to 1.35 then 1.38 (heavier usuage) and back to 1.35 in a short space of time or could this damage my cpu? I thought it would be safe as the cpu voltage jumps up and down erratically when cool and quiet is enable in bios ( to save power/reduce temps?) If I was to change llc to regular in bios I would need 1.45 vcore due to vdrop/vdroop,what would you run to achieve this oc? The lower idle vcore with extreme llc or the higher idle vcore with regular llc? I will run my blend test tomorrow to make sure my ram oc is stable as well. but the 1st screen above is of a 3hour smalfft test. In speedfan the 60 degrees temp did worry me, I believe the first 2 temps are of my motherboard and cpu as they are same temperature as the cpu/motherboard reading in hwinfo, any idea what the 3rd temp is and is it safe?
Thanks

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
I wouldn't worry about the voltage, it never seems to get too high, and if the alternative is a constant 1.45v your current solution is better for the CPU. Don't worry about it going up and down like that, that's normal. That's what Cool&Quiet does too, like you said. Just to be sure you can keep HWiNFO open for a day of normal usage and check the max VCore at the end of the day. If it's under ~1.50v you're fine. If it's above that, it'd be safer to go with your other option.

The third temperature is generally the Mosfet, the VRM or the Northbridge in general. Sometimes it's the CPU Socket temperature. 60 degrees Celsius is perfectly fine in all of those cases.
You can try running HWMonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html) and comparing temps, that would be useful since the max temperature for the socket is quite a bit lower (70 degrees) than the max temp for the Mosfet, VRM and Northbridge ([strike]usually about 90-100[/strike] around 100-150 except for the Northbridge, that's about 80 but it differs with mobo).

4.5GHz is a nice overclock by the way, not bad at all! Can I ask what cooler you're using?

EDIT: Corrected some numbers and spelling mistakes.

tony1-3-9

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

im using a cooler master seidon 120v water cooler, its not to expensive and performs great, after 3 hours smallfft it was around 47 degrees average which i thinks pretty good, i did read that fx chips should be kept below 55 degrees so im comfortable with my temps, i will update the tread when i run the blend test and possible 4.6ghz, but i will only attemp this at my current voltages, if it fails il stick with 4.5. I wont be using this oc 24/7 just for gaming when i get my gpu, but saying that i think everythings ok, hopefully nothing will blow up

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
47 degrees Celsius isn't pretty good, that's really damn good!
Max core temp for Piledriver is actually 61-65 degrees Celsius so you have nothing to worry about temperature-wise, especially if you only hit those temps in Small FFTs.

It seems that the limiting factor for your chip's OC-ability is actually voltage, not temperature (provided it passes a Blend test). I agree that you shouldn't increase VCore any further, regardless of temperatures. You might hurt your chip's lifespan otherwise.

I wouldn't worry about using this OC 24/7 though, I see nothing that would indicate that that's a bad idea (again, provided it passes a Blend test).

tony1-3-9

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

Ok, thanks for your help and info really appreciated, i did attempt the blend test and with 10 seconds my pc black screened, attempted to turn it back on and nothing, after some inspection i found my psu at fault, i put a cheap psu in i had and boots fine, guess in going to have to return it, its a evga 600b. Thing is i have it just 1 month, would i be better of getting a refund instead of a return and buying a more reputable psu from the likes of corsair? With the cheap psu in i do t think it would be wise to stress test with it

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
That's odd. The EVGA 600b isn't fantastic but I wouldn't expect it to just crap out on you after a month either. And there's no way your system is drawing 600 watts or more.
PSUs can lock up for a while when they shut down to prevent damage to the system. Usually it's about 30 minutes. Might be worth trying to put the 600b back in and seeing if it'll boot by now. If it does, lower LLC and up the VCore to the 1.45v you needed earlier for stability and try a Blend test again.

tony1-3-9

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
I did try the psu this morning but still nothing, i didn't mention but when it failed i did try changn the power lead think fuse may have blown, when i put the new lead in there was crackling then a small poof of smoke fronlm where you enter the 3 pin power lead into the psu, scared me a bit as i thought it may have taken other components with it but thankfully not, i contacted the shop i bought it from and will be shipping it back today, i have been lookin at the corsair 600w range around the £60 mark would they be suitable or would you recommend a psu for that price? I think 600w would be needed as i will be getting a hd7950 in the near future

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
That sounds like a dead PSU alright.

600 watts is fine for your system, GPU and overclock included. Take a look here:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

Pick one from Tier 1 or Tier 2 Class A or B. The higher the tier the better!
With an overclock like this I wouldn't recommend going for a lower tiered PSU. It might work fine or you might end up with a room full of smoke again, best to not take the risk.

tony1-3-9

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

Ok great, was considering the xfx pro series as it fits into my budget, on the overclock, I had decided to step down a notch to 4.4Ghz, Its stable in prime 95 blend test and smallffts for over an hour (didn't want to push any more on this psu) I have LLC set to regular, I have vcore set to 1.39 in bios and under full load it hits 1,36, temps don't go over 39degrees now, am I going to get a substantial improvement in gaming at 4.5 compared to 4.4 to justify the higher vcore and temps? personally I don't think so, I also just purchased my gpu, sapphire 7950 oc, looking forward to gaming on my new rig :) I do only have 4gb mem at the moment though ao I think an upgrade will be needed to play bf4. Im just hoping I can get around 30fps on dayz as I know its a very demanding game .

TRENDING THREADS