i5-4590 and ASRock H97

Toolman-Tim

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
I'm working on my first build for gaming under a budget and I'm still doing research as to which parts of the system will work well together (if anyone feels like explaining CPU and mobo BIOS combinations please go ahead). Long story short, would this ASRock H97 mobo be a good match for a i5-4590 CPU? And if you feel the need please also suggest another good budget mobo for me.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)

Thanks for the help guys.

Solution
While I would personally push for an i5-4690 (the most recent i5), the CPU and motherboard selected will work well together. The H97 chipset is the most recent non-overclocking chipset from Intel, and will support any current processor that fits the LGA1150 socket (like the i5 you have selected). Generally, as long as you are getting whatever the current chipset is from a manufacturer, you'll be alright with any compatible processor. The only time problems come into play is when you start trying to combine older chipsets with an identical socket with newer processors. Then you may be required to perform a BIOS flash to update the BIOS in order to be able to use the newer processor.

viewtyjoe

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
While I would personally push for an i5-4690 (the most recent i5), the CPU and motherboard selected will work well together. The H97 chipset is the most recent non-overclocking chipset from Intel, and will support any current processor that fits the LGA1150 socket (like the i5 you have selected). Generally, as long as you are getting whatever the current chipset is from a manufacturer, you'll be alright with any compatible processor. The only time problems come into play is when you start trying to combine older chipsets with an identical socket with newer processors. Then you may be required to perform a BIOS flash to update the BIOS in order to be able to use the newer processor.

Solution
G

Good choice! They will work out of the box. Also don't forget to update your BIOS when you have installed your system and OS. BIOS updates improve stability and compatibility. I would get an ASUS Mobo if prices are close.

jasonite

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
I think you've got a good CPU there; the 4690 is better but it's also more expensive, your call. Personally you won't see me saying good things about ASrock, IMO they are all too flimsy. MSI can be good but typically Asus and Gigabyte are your two best options. There's a Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H which I think would be a good match for your CPU.

G

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Asus H97M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $94.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-03 06:44 EDT-0400

If money is no problem, spend 20$ extra and get that.

I think any H97 by Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and AsRock would work fine.

Your money, your call. Asus has great quality, oob simplicity and PREMIUM feeling xD