FX 8350 GTX 680 - which PSU for overclocking?

Taukiro

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
Hi there,

I have already bought an MSI GTX 680 TwinFrozr III + FX 8350 + 2x4 GB HyperX FURY 1600 MHz DDR3 (dual channel), using Zalman 9900 MAX as a CPU cooler and a non-stock thermal compound. My computer is going to be used for gaming (RTS and RPG) as well as rendering (releasing about one video a week or so). I also work with programs such as 3ds Max, AutoCAD, Photoshop - that's the reason why I need a really beefy 8-core CPU.

I haven't decided whether overclocking makes sense in my case - and if it does, which PSU should I choose to make sure that everything will be working stable and the power consumption won't cause any problems? I have been thinking of buying Fatal1ty 750W, but is it worth it? My motherboard may not be so great for OC though - it's ASRock 970 Extreme 4 AM3+. I want to mention I have never tried overclocking before, but I know the basics. Thanks in advance!

Solution
OCing does make things faster and is completely safe if done correctly.

A good 600W PSU will be enough to power up the build w/ good OC. Fatality 750W is a very very poor PSU and not at all recommended for any build.

An Antec HCG 620W/ SeaSonic S12II 620W/ XFX Pro 650W/ EVGA G1 650W will be more than enough for your needs. Avoid Corsair VS/ CX/ CS/ builder series too.

970 series is obviously not as good at OCing as 990, but the MoBo you have is very solid and will allow some serious OCing w/o issues.
OCing does make things faster and is completely safe if done correctly.

A good 600W PSU will be enough to power up the build w/ good OC. Fatality 750W is a very very poor PSU and not at all recommended for any build.

An Antec HCG 620W/ SeaSonic S12II 620W/ XFX Pro 650W/ EVGA G1 650W will be more than enough for your needs. Avoid Corsair VS/ CX/ CS/ builder series too.

970 series is obviously not as good at OCing as 990, but the MoBo you have is very solid and will allow some serious OCing w/o issues.

Solution

Taukiro

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
Thanks to both of you for a fast response. My budget was not limited, so I selected XFX Pro 650W, because the price for this item seems very reasonable and many people recommend buying it because of its reliability.