fx 8350 vs i5 4440

Solution
The 4440 will be better in single core relying apps (like most games), but FX 8 will be better in parallel processing apps (like rendering/ 3D modelling and some games like BF4). Once the FX is OCed, it'll match or even better i5's gaming performance. Why FX is cheaper than i-cores?

AMD follows 2 cores per module ideology, they put 2 cores in 1 module and both cores have to share the same resources, so the performance, especially single core, is very weak. But this does help in saving costs by not dedicating resources for each core.

Intel has 1 core per module mindset and hence the single core performance and FPU of Intel CPUs is much more than FX's. Moreover, Intel are more energy efficient than FX, while maintaining a strong...

InvalidError

Titan
Which one is better depends on what you want to do. For gaming, there are many cases where even the i3-3220 beats the FX8350.

Intel's chips are more expensive because:
1- it is Intel
2- Intel's chips have much higher single-threaded performance, which gives them a considerable lead in most games and tons of everyday tasks
3- Intel's chips use far less power for a given amount of performance

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Because 8350 is only better if you OC. Stock they are ~the same - 8350 better in multithreaded apps, 4440 better in gaming and single threaded apps.
8350 sucks at efficiency, stock 8350 needs ~90W more than i5.

The 4440 will be better in single core relying apps (like most games), but FX 8 will be better in parallel processing apps (like rendering/ 3D modelling and some games like BF4). Once the FX is OCed, it'll match or even better i5's gaming performance. Why FX is cheaper than i-cores?

AMD follows 2 cores per module ideology, they put 2 cores in 1 module and both cores have to share the same resources, so the performance, especially single core, is very weak. But this does help in saving costs by not dedicating resources for each core.

Intel has 1 core per module mindset and hence the single core performance and FPU of Intel CPUs is much more than FX's. Moreover, Intel are more energy efficient than FX, while maintaining a strong performance too.

If you want to OC, get FX 8 + 9xx MoBo + CPU cooler, otherwise, a i5 non-k + B85/H81/87 MoBo if you don't plan to upgrade from this gen, or H97 if you plan otherwise.

Solution

BF4 is highly multi-core optimized, ie, it uses all the cores provided to it, it'll run better on FX 6 than i3, and similarly better on OCed FX 8 instead of locked i5, but can't say the same for non-OCed FX 8.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Battlefield_4_China_Rising_-test-bf_4_proz.jpg

As others have stated, which is 'better' depends on the workload you send to the CPU and whether you are an OC enthusiast or not.

The price difference is performance and competition based. When AMD had the performance edge on Intel they were able to charge a slight premium for their products, because they offered the best of the best at the time. Now Intel is ahead, and doing the same.

It is strictly business, but good for the consumer to have two competitors leapfrogging like this. It meets the needs of both the enthusiasts and the budget builders.

If done correctly and with the right equipment, its both easy and safe to do. You can't OC a locked i5 btw, you'll need a K version CPU and a Z MoBo to do so. You can OC seriously on any 9xx series MoBo from Asus/ ASROCK/ GB/ MSI. Avoid Biostar MoBos. You'll need a CPU cooler too, a CM 212 Hyper EVO is good for some serious OCing while being the best performance/ price too :)

I doubt it, even coolers like H100i find it hard to get stable 5Ghz (with Prime95 testing, that's a norm to check stability). You can go to 4.5Ghz w/o concerning about temps too much, but it'll also depend on what MoBo you have, its power phases and how good the VRMs are. ASROCK and Asus generally make the best FX OCing MoBos, the 990FX EX3 is a very good value/money and will allow some serious OCing. But, with H80, 5Ghz seems a long shot, and extremely hard to pass even an hour of Prime95.