200 mm Fan Side-Panel Removal

Stinkyfish97

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
Need help improving airflow inside my case. So I had to remove the 200 mm Side-Fan on my case to fit in a new graphics card. The fan was providing me with supposedly 125 CFM airflow. Now I am down to just 1 intake fan, the front intake. This has me a bit concerned because I also have 2 exhaust fans.

The setup I had going before the new graphics card was 2 intakes, 200mm fan, provided by the case at 125 CFM, and 1 120mm front intake providing me another 64.5 CFM. For exhaust I had 2 120 mm fans, one was attached to the radiator of and was a Delta fan giving me 113 CFM and the other was a Cougar fan that is rated at 76 CFM.

Overall I think I had a net positive/neutral intake, which is what I kind of want. Without the 200mm fan however I lose more than half my intake.

I only have one unused fan spot besides the 200mm side fan and that is a a space for another exhaust fan at the top of the case.

The case does not allow for installation of smaller intake fans on the sidepanel where the 200mm fan was removed. I looked at getting a thinner fan for the side, 20mm thickness instead of 30mm, but the GPU power cables are literally touching the side of the case. I also looked at mounting another 120mm fan inside the 5.25" bay but I already have installed a 5.25" to SSD cage to store my SSD drive. Short of replacing the front intake fan with something like a Delta fan 5200 RPM I am not sure I can have my system run with just 1 intake. I cannot imagine how loud and noisy the Delta is, the one I have now is bearable but I am sure something at 5200 rpm would sound like I had a vacuum cleaner running next to my head.

I only need a temporary fix as I do plan to upgrade the case. It may be 3-5 months before I do so though.

Is my best option just to go ahead and replace my front intake with the Delta fan? If I do this should I then buy a filter for where the 200mm fan was because right now it is just open slits. Or will running a net positive airflow take care of the issue and I wont need the filter on the side panel?

This is the Case:
http://www.apevia.com/productsInfo.asp?KEY=X-TRP-BL

Graphics Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121867

I guess this is the fan I am considering on getting if I have to go down to just 1 intake fan:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835213001&cm_re=case_fans-_-35-213-001-_-Product

Thanks in advance,

George

Solution
I wouldnt be that concerned with your current situation. By nature of a negative pressure system (which you now have, with more exhaust than intake), air will naturally be dragged into the case.
This poses its own problem with dust if where the air is coming from isnt properly filtered (if that opening was an intake and unfiltered to begin with, I really doubt it will drag in more dust than it would normally), but its not like your components are going to be starved of air or anything.

I dont suppose if the situation of a negative pressure system is very much something you dont want, you could just unplug one of the exhaust fans?
I wouldnt be that concerned with your current situation. By nature of a negative pressure system (which you now have, with more exhaust than intake), air will naturally be dragged into the case.
This poses its own problem with dust if where the air is coming from isnt properly filtered (if that opening was an intake and unfiltered to begin with, I really doubt it will drag in more dust than it would normally), but its not like your components are going to be starved of air or anything.

I dont suppose if the situation of a negative pressure system is very much something you dont want, you could just unplug one of the exhaust fans?

Solution