£600-£650 gaming PC build

Ross91

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
Hello, I'm looking to upgrade from my Fujitsu Siemans Scaleo Pi 2680. It's a bit old and dated.

**Update - I made a mistake in my original mock up and didn't account for VAT. I've since used parts picker and come up with this = http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/fFJCZL (hopefully the link works)

Any feedback much appreciated :)

So I've used CyberPowerPC to make a mock up of what I'm roughly looking to build (I may get my local shop to build it because I have no idea how to build it), and its a little over my £600 budget but only by a little at £650 (about $90 difference) but would be fine. My main goal is to play Skyrim on High/Ultra. Any feedback/suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Case: Cooler Master K350 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/USB3 Black

Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default Case Fan

CPU: INTEL® Core™ i5-4690 Quad Core 3.50 GHz 6MB Cache LGA1150 + HD Graphics [-12]

Overclocking Service: No Overclocking
Overclock Monitoring and Media Server Station or Overclocking Media Server Station: NONE

Cooling Fan: Cooler Master Seidon 120M Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator (Cooler Master Seidon 120M
Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator ***Overclockable XXX***)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-HD3 INTEL Z97 Chipset, ATX Mainboard w/ 4 RAM slots, 7.1 HD Audio, HDMI, GbLAN,
USB 3.0, SATA-III, 1x Gen2 PCIe x16, 1x Gen2 PCIe x4, 2x PCIe x 1 & 2x PCI

Intel Smart Response Technology: None
Internal USB/SATA Expansion Module: NONE

Memory: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3/1866mhz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Fury Blue w/Heat Spreader)
Video Card: AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+72] (Single Card)

Power Supply Upgrade: 600 Watts Power Supplies [+32] (Cooler Master B600 B-Series Gaming Power Supply)
Hard Drive: 2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64M Cache 7200rpm Hard Drive [+19] (Single Hard Drive)
Secondary Hard Drive: NONE
Hard Drive Cooler: None
External Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0/eSATA): None
USB Flash Drive: None
Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE. (BLACK Colour)
Optical Drive 2: NONE
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
Network: ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT -- As standard on all PCs

Solution
I made some tweaks, you were right about the VAT thing so even with the stuff I changed it's at £678 which is still a little over and basically top end. I think my local shop is slightly cheaper though and will give me a bit of discount for trading in my old machine.

**CPU: INTEL® Core™ i5-4590 Quad Core 3.30 GHz 6MB Cache LGA1150 + HD Grapics [-25]

Overclock Monitoring and Media Server Station or Overclocking Media Server Station: NONE
Cooling Fan: INTEL Socket LGA 1155 Standard CPU Cooler

**Motherboard: ASUS H81M-D Plus INTEL H81 Chipset, Micro ATX Mainboard w/ 2 RAM slots, 7.1 HD Audio...

Rammy

Honorable
It's not great, there's quite a lot you can improve on for the money.
The issue is that if you aren't building it yourself then you'll need to go with whatever components your chosen builder has available (unless they'll let you pick stuff out) which makes it much harder to suggest improvements.

As a general suggestion -
Get the cheapest i5 you can
Avoid Z-series motherboards and focus on getting a quality H (or even B) series which fulfils your requirements.
Stick with the stock CPU cooler
Go with the minimum HDD you think is sufficient for your needs, this is a really easy thing to upgrade down the line.
Find a quality PSU (the one listed is not very good, if you have a list of options toss them in here).
Go as cheap as you can on 8Gb of ram.
Push as much money as you can into graphics.

Also - are you sure this is £650 at CyberpowerPC? I had a glance at their configurator and it looks like you are looking at the total without VAT added. (Why they do this for a consumer PC market I really don't know).

Ross91

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
You could be right about the VAT problem, if I did do that then it's probably way over budget.

I could probably manage with 1TB of memory, maybe even 500GB at a push and upgrade later like you said, not sure how much that would shave of the price. I'll look in to cheaper i5s and better motherboards and see what that does to the price. I think that is the cheapest they had for 8GB of RAM, I was advised I should get 2x4GB instead of 1x8 so I get the extra 10% output from dual channel.

Also I think that graphics card should be good for my needs, I really only play skyrim that is slightly demanding, other than that I mostly play stuff like Civ and Minecraft.

Rammy

Honorable
Yeah the 270X is probably plenty sufficient, my comments were a very general comment on how you might break down your budget.

In general yeah, go for 2*4Gb, the price difference is usually negligible. Whoever told you the boost is 10% is speaking nonsense though, it varies dramatically depending on the application and for gaming it's not much at all.

If you have a friend who can put things together for you, or you fancy a challenge yourself, then you can make your money go further and perhaps more importantly, avoid some of the "fails" of companies like that.
Here's a fairly random example of what you should be able to afford if you pick components yourself. Obviously the availability of stuff will change if you go into a local shop and ask them to knock up something similar, and it'll cost you more, but I'd imagine a similarly specced machine could be done by a shop for around £650.

Ross91

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
I made some tweaks, you were right about the VAT thing so even with the stuff I changed it's at £678 which is still a little over and basically top end. I think my local shop is slightly cheaper though and will give me a bit of discount for trading in my old machine.

**CPU: INTEL® Core™ i5-4590 Quad Core 3.30 GHz 6MB Cache LGA1150 + HD Grapics [-25]

Cooling Fan: INTEL Socket LGA 1155 Standard CPU Cooler

**Motherboard: ASUS H81M-D Plus INTEL H81 Chipset, Micro ATX Mainboard w/ 2 RAM slots, 7.1 HD Audio,
GbLAN, USB 3.0, SATA-III, 1x Gen2 PCIe x16, 2x PCIe x 1 [-26]

Memory: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3/1866mhz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Fury Blue w/Heat Spreader)
Video Card: AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+72] (Single Card)

Power Supply Upgrade: 600 Watts Power Supplies [+32] (Corsair 600 Watts CX600M Modular Gaming Power
Supply, 80+ [+4])
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE. (BLACK Colour)

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Network: ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT -- As standard on all PCs

Solution

Ross91

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm probably going to keep researching and looking around for the next 2 or so weeks and then decide. I'd like to build it myself and make my money go further as you say but don't fancy messing it up and having to spend more to fix my problems. I know roughly what I want in terms of GPU, RAM and CPU. The main places I have no idea about is the PSU, cooling (if I even need to worry about it) motherboard and what case to buy to make sure it all fits in and has good circulation etc.

Rammy

Honorable
Well if you have any doubts about stuff just ask away, either here or make a new thread in a suitable sub-forum.

PSU is a tricky one. Most retailers (like Cyberpower) will just stock a couple of options at each wattage level and they won't necessarily be there because they are good items. If you are going with a stock-clocked i5 and an R9 270X, then a 500-550W PSU is likely your best bet (ignore Cyberpower saying you need a 600W).
The Corsair CX you picked in your 2nd attempt is a fairly mediocre PSU, it's likely fine for you but it's not the best quality.
The XFX I picked out is a very solid, budget minded PSU so if it's an option then it's a safe bet (as is basically anything from XFX/Seasonic).

Cooling is actually very straightforward. If you have a stock speed i5, then the standard Intel cooler will work fine enough unless you live somewhere incredibly hot (in the UK you should be fine lol).
If you can pick a decent entry level case, ideally one which comes with a couple of fans as standard, then it's likely you'll be fine without any upgrades. On a basic system like this just having an intake and an exhaust makes all the difference.
It's also pretty easy to tweak later, even if you aren't too confident with fiddling with components.

Motherboards get very complicated as each chipset (Z97/H97 etc) has it's own set of features, then manufacturers chose which of those features to include, which to remove, and which additional features of their own to add. This is how they build up their product lines, but it's a pretty baffling array of letters, numbers and acronyms to most people.
The quick (and over-simplified) version -
Z97 - Overclocking+SLI, added features like SATA Express and M.2 support.
Z87 - Overclocking+SLI, effectively replaced by Z97 now
H97 - Updated features like SATA Express and M.2 support.
H87 - Mainstream board, effectively replaced by H97 now.
H81 - Entry level board, only 2 memory slots, usually limited SATA connectors too (as well as other features).
B85 - Officially speaking a "Business" board but falls somewhere between H81 and H87 in features (less likely you'll come across these)

Basically if you aren't overclocking, a H97 is a good option looking forward as it has connectors for new technology which may or may not catch on. Some boards won't have all of these (see above) but if you want a solid option which isn't lacking in features and is likely to have enough connectors for you to (get someone to) upgrade later then they are generally a good bet regardless.

Ross91

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
Ok so I'm at this just now: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/LznsVn. Basically the same as yours I think. Just need to figure out the PSU and I think that's the rough idea I can then take in to a shop and see what they say. Assuming I stick with either XFX or Seasonic, do I need it to be modular/semi modular or not modular? Right now thats basically the only thing stopping me. Its saying the price is £507 so with the Case and PSU it should be spot on.

Rammy

Honorable
Nobody needs a modular PSU really. In some cases they can be useful if you need to remove the extra cabling, but it's mainly unnecessary. If your case has some cable management (like cut-outs in the motherboard tray) then it's incredibly easy to get all the cables tucked away nice and neatly.