8320 socket temp

cherev

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014
He,

I overclocked my 8320 to 4ghz on an m5a99fx pro r2. In HW monitor the package temp under load is 57 max.

However, socket temp (cpu temp under motherboard temps) reached 67 max. When it reached 65 I got warning on screen that my cpu reached 65 degrees centrigrade.

Should I be worried?

Cheers,

Solution
Technically, you should be fine: absolute max for the 8320 is 80 celsius, so you're still below that.

However, I would recommend using CoreTemp to double-check the CPU temperature. If it confirms that you're actually running at 67 degrees, then there might be a cooling issue involved. If you're using a stock cooler, then it sounds like a) your PC is located in a "hot spot" in the house, or b) there's not enough air flow in the case. If your case has room, add additional case fans, & make sure they're set up according to the manual (i.e. some should be pulling air in, some should be pushing it out). If you're using an aftermarket cooler (air or water), did you OC the CPU? If not, double-check that the cooling solution is correctly...

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
Technically, you should be fine: absolute max for the 8320 is 80 celsius, so you're still below that.

However, I would recommend using CoreTemp to double-check the CPU temperature. If it confirms that you're actually running at 67 degrees, then there might be a cooling issue involved. If you're using a stock cooler, then it sounds like a) your PC is located in a "hot spot" in the house, or b) there's not enough air flow in the case. If your case has room, add additional case fans, & make sure they're set up according to the manual (i.e. some should be pulling air in, some should be pushing it out). If you're using an aftermarket cooler (air or water), did you OC the CPU? If not, double-check that the cooling solution is correctly installed and that your thermal paste is correctly applied. If you're not using an aftermarket cooler, get one.

Solution