is my 7950 overheating?

Mikmono317

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
I have a his 7950 that has been having problems lately like just last night I had to turn off my pc and move to another room it was so unbearably hot and later when I came in with the same weather conditions it was cool in my room like right now I have a fan blasting cold air into my case and it still is running idle at around 39-42 C and when I am playing a game like gmod it is around 56 C so I was wondering if it could be the thermal paste or something any feedback would be great. I am running stock (used to be oced to 1000 mhz) and with a fan speed of 70.

Sorry about no paragraphs, periods, or any real punctuation I am in sort of a rush
also

Solution
Graphics card don't use thermal paste, they have their own heatsinks and fan cooling systems. 56c in games is nothing to be concerned about, in fact it's great temps!
You don't need to start worrying about temperatures untill you hit mid 80s (which will rarely happen in games. You usually only would hit temps that high in stress test programs like Unigine Valley. And it's highly unlikely without overclocking).

56c with a hot room is good to go :) Don't worry!

If you want to try to lower temps even more, use a program like MSI afterburner to set fan profiles at higher %s

morgilroka

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Graphics card don't use thermal paste, they have their own heatsinks and fan cooling systems. 56c in games is nothing to be concerned about, in fact it's great temps!
You don't need to start worrying about temperatures untill you hit mid 80s (which will rarely happen in games. You usually only would hit temps that high in stress test programs like Unigine Valley. And it's highly unlikely without overclocking).

56c with a hot room is good to go :) Don't worry!

If you want to try to lower temps even more, use a program like MSI afterburner to set fan profiles at higher %s

Solution

56C is fine for a graphics card... heck the whole nvidia 7xx series will be in the 70Cs when gaming. now if you were hitting 85C then there might be an issue long term.

Shneiky

Distinguished
Graphics cards DO use thermal paste. The GPU has a thermal interface material to connect to the heat sink. A lot of other components on the video card use thermal adhesive or thermal pads.

But back to the question - any temp around 70C under full load for a 7950 is good. There is nothing to worry about.

morgilroka

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

Interesting, I knew about the pads etc, but i just googled and saw you can re-apply it and everything. Learned something new :D