I5 2320 Bottlenecking?

neonpenguinz

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
Hi I have this old computer from my work with an I5 2320 @3.00 Ghz I was wondering how strong of a gpu I can run without it bottlenecking. The motherboard is pretty old too. It only has a PCI 2.0. Would I be able to get a Gpu such as the Gtx 760 or 770 an R9 280?

Solution
Sorry for the late reply.

Anyway it really depends on how big the computer case is inside and if you can fit the card in the case. You may need to measure the free open area space around the PCIE lane and then you should tell us what PSU you have. Wattage isn't everything, you also need to factor in the amount of amps that the 12V rail can provide and brand of the PSU is very important. A good 500W can handle a GTX 780 but a mediocre 500W may barely or may not even handle a GTX 760. A cheap brand PSU most likely cannot or there is just huge risks involved.

Also while the processor is good, you won't have optimal performance when paired with a 780 though its not that huge of a difference but it is different

Cats869

Honorable
Aug 16, 2014
Yes, those cards will work in your computer assuming the power supply can handle it. Do you mean PCIe 2.0? If so, that will definitely work, just make sure there is at least one 16x PCIe lane. The processor should be good enough to handle those cards.

What kind of Power supply do you have anyway? I'm guessing your computer is about 3-4 years old.

Cats869

Honorable
Aug 16, 2014
Sorry for the late reply.

Anyway it really depends on how big the computer case is inside and if you can fit the card in the case. You may need to measure the free open area space around the PCIE lane and then you should tell us what PSU you have. Wattage isn't everything, you also need to factor in the amount of amps that the 12V rail can provide and brand of the PSU is very important. A good 500W can handle a GTX 780 but a mediocre 500W may barely or may not even handle a GTX 760. A cheap brand PSU most likely cannot or there is just huge risks involved.

Also while the processor is good, you won't have optimal performance when paired with a 780 though its not that huge of a difference but it is different

Solution