8350 Overclocking Issue

I have recently bought a CM Hyper 212 EVO and am now trying to overclock my 8350. Whenever I raise my voltage to anything over 1.4125, my CPU will only run at about 65% and is only at like 2.4GHz. I also cannot turn off legacy boot. If I do, I get no picture. I've tried with two different GPU's.

Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this? I really want to figure this out because I am only at 47C when at 4.4GHz and 1.4125 volts. So I feel like I could get a pretty nice overclock maybe to 4.7 or something.

Thanks for any help.

Solution
It is always possible to lose the chip lottery.

Also, what mobo are you trying this on? I haven't installed my new 8350 yet, but when I oc'd my 975 BE, it gained 15% plus of headroom in the 990fx board as opposed to previous budget board. With exactly the same cpu.
* doh, your mobo is listed in sig. Looking it up now.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

Best 8350 guide around, Check that, and post your issues there, as well as AMD OC thread here on Tom's.

Saw this in a Newegg review of that board.

"Cons: BIOS program is a bit iffy. Lack of precise control for voltage and clock speeds... I could not get a successful boot unless my overvolt was a multiple of 0.05...

exroofer

Distinguished
It is always possible to lose the chip lottery.

Also, what mobo are you trying this on? I haven't installed my new 8350 yet, but when I oc'd my 975 BE, it gained 15% plus of headroom in the 990fx board as opposed to previous budget board. With exactly the same cpu.
* doh, your mobo is listed in sig. Looking it up now.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

Best 8350 guide around, Check that, and post your issues there, as well as AMD OC thread here on Tom's.

Saw this in a Newegg review of that board.

"Cons: BIOS program is a bit iffy. Lack of precise control for voltage and clock speeds... I could not get a successful boot unless my overvolt was a multiple of 0.05 (stock 1.2625, volt to 1.3125, 1.3625, 1.4125, etc). Also, you have to find a precise balance between changing the actual voltage number (e.g. 1.3625V) and changing the voltage boost (e.g. +0.150V). They are additive; I'm not sure what the root of the problems are with interchanging them, but whatever. I suppose I got it figured out in the end. My point is, BIOS configuring and overclocking will lead you with more CMOS-clearing adventures than most BIOS setups will."

Possible the board is a bit finicky, thus leading to your issues. Good luck with your OC.

Solution
I'm using a Biostar TA990FXE. I always thought that when you max out your chips potential, you hit the temp. I feel like there is some kind of setting that is downclocking it or something. But I have gone through my bios settings. I am trying to figure out how to make EFI boot work. I'm thinking that might fix it.

Thank you very much. That was quite helpful. I will keep messing around to try and figure this out.

That Biostar board isn't the best overclocker. Although it has a hefty VRM, it still only has 4+1 phases. My guess is that the VRMs are overheatings, so it's probably throttling back. (Applying some more airflow to the VRM may help.)

It's fairly common that people can hit 4.4 ghz on the Hyper 212 EVO, but they are usually near the edge of their thermal threshold for their CPU. I would see what you can do to cool the VRM, and then go from there.

It was a bios setting. I have been overclocking using AMD's Overdrive. I know it's not the best method, and I might end up going the bios route. But for now I like being able to change settings and stress test without having to restart the computer all the time.

The setting that was causing the issue was the manual overclocking in the bios. If you are going to use software to overclock, you have to have the bios setting at normal. I had it set to manual overclock.

Thank you guys for you help though, I appreciate your time.

exroofer

Distinguished
Glad we could help. However.... software overclocking never ever yields the best results, both in performance and power consumption/heat.
You can almost always get equal or better performance at lower voltages and heat through the bios.

If you just want a mild OC, use the software, then take your time studying the OC guides, and do that once you are comfortable.
It is not something one should dive in to until you feel comfortable doing it.
The 8350 guide I linked earlier is a good place to read up when you have spare time.

Alright. That sounds like the next step for me after I play around with the software a little. I had a quick look at the OC guide you listed. It looks quite nice. I will definitely be reading it before overclocking in bios.

Just for poo's and giggles, I have gotten a successful overclock of 4.5GHz at 1.4750 volts at the moment on software with a high temp of 53C. I did add a fan to the other side of the 212 EVO. So I should get a little more performance from it.

exroofer

Distinguished
Something to consider as well. Most of the 8350 OC's I see have around a 2400 northbridge. Stock is 2000.

You can get VERY significant cpu benchmark gains with nothing but the northbridge cranked up on AMD cpu's.
Which may be a way for you to get noticeable gains when combined with a mild cpu oc, and not have to buy any new parts.
Or have any thermal worries.

Oh and Blackbird knows from AMD overclocking.