900 pound ($1470 dollar) Gaming PC Build - Check for me?

Phutile

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
Hey, I'm gonna build my first PC and I'm currently trying to make it as BEAST as possible. I want to be able to record, stream and run games maxed out as smooth possible (not all at the same time of course). This is going to be my first build too so any suggestions and changes to build would help, cheers!
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£236.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£99.52 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£64.52 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: PNY Prevail 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£60.14 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£35.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card (£226.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£65.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£51.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer (£14.89 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£49.00 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£99.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1005.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-06 15:00 BST+0100

Note it's 1005 because I also have ordered a Razer Blackwidow.

P.S If anyone wants me to get an i5, please explain your reasoning as I've seen this a few times but no reasoning. Thanks community <3!
-Saul

Solution
1.5V memory is available for a lesser price, why to go with 1.65V?
You can get a better PSU for lesser price.
Your Keyboard is just too costly considering it may be holding a good upgrade back.
Why get PNY when Samsung EVO is cheaper?
Include a CPU cooler if you plan to OC.
Save up on MoBo and you can get an equally good one for less.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/7BM8P6
It's a tough call on the i5/i7 for me. For today's games, they won't make use of the extra threads on an i7. So if you are gaming with an i7 vs an i5 you wouldn't notice the difference. Today's games don't use the extras that an i7 gives you. But, who knows what games are coming out next year, and whether or not they'll make use of an i7.

As for your build, it's looking like a monster. Very nice system. Personally I'd swap out that PSU for something like this one

XFX750 Core edition £58.99
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1750snlb9

I was looking for a 600-650W, but saw that XFX above and it's cheaper than other good quality 600s. It's overkill, but for the price, that's a sweet deal on a high end PSU. The CS you are looking at isn't really designed for high end builds that will be overclocked. They are great low-mid end systems, but I'd recommend you get a PSU to match the build you are making. Especially as it's not too much more for a high quality PSU like the one above.

hackintosh777

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I agree, I think OP might need a better PSU but I'm no expert.

AntonM95

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
I think this build will be better for games

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£48.79 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 KILLER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£57.12 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory (£79.96 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£55.14 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£35.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card (£259.55 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£65.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£57.90 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer (£15.60 @ Kustom PCs)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£49.00 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: NZXT FX-140LB 98.3 CFM 140mm Fan (£8.38 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £895.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-06 16:05 BST+0100

Phutile

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
Thanks very much guys, I have some more questions to your answers, if that makes any sense :p
@jimthenagual, This PC is going to probably last me another 3-5 years, so it needs to also be rather futureproof, I probably should of put that in the thread. Thanks!
@Anton Thanks, I just personally prefer Geforce over AMD for some reasons, but thanks a lot for the help!
@MeteorsRaining I wasn't planning on OC'ing, and I thought i7's came with a fan? Could you give me some insight on whether I can overclock, and what should I do? Also - MoBos? I couldn't find any on PPP, prehaps some insight, many thanks again.

Also guys, I would just like to ask for maybe a resource for building a PC, as a 15 year old unexperianced in firsthand building of a PC, I just want to make sure I want to be 100% clear on how to do everything in Cable Management etc and not muck up 1000 pounds.

Thank you sooooo much for your help guys!

OP, yes the CPU does come with a stock cooler (or fan as you call it, but that term is used for case fan) and is decent enough until you want to OC. No need to get an af cooler until you want to OC.

Now, yes that CPU is very much OCable, all 'K' CPUs can OC. And all 'Z' MoBos support OCing, the one you selected (or the one I or anybody body has selected here) supports OCing.

OCing involves increasing clock multiplier in MoBo's BIOS or using a software, I prefer doing it on my 4790k through the BIOS. Like if the multiplier is 40, proccessor will run at 40*100MHz=4Ghz speed, increase it to like 45 and it'll run at 4.5GHz. You'll need to increase the VCore (voltage) in order to get higher OCs so that the system is stable.

To check for stability, you can run stress tests like Prime95 on CPU which'll kind of test the endurance of OC we apply. Its not necessary to increase VCore while OCing if the system is stable, but if its not (it'll BSOD), then that's what one does.

On PPP, just check 'Z97' in chipset checklist, all the MoBos shown will be OCable. Get only from ASROCK/ ASUS/ MSI/ GIGABYTE though, they're reputable brands.

There're tons of guides available, or you can always ask the community or PM me.

To know how to go about making it, watch and follow some PC building and assembling videos, subscribe to them on Youtube, like, just type "How to build a custom computer" on youtube.

Hope that'd help you :)

Phutile

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
Thanks a lot! I just did some research on OC'ing and found out I could probably get around the 4.5GHz mark so I'll be keeping that "cooler". This means i'll also need to be buying some thermal paste if I'm correct?

I disagree, Haswell-r has a better integrated heatsink and runs well on stock cooler if OCing is not intended, yes an af cooler is always better but there's no real danger in running it on stock cooler, an af will be good to compliment such a good build though.
It runs the coolest amongst it's main competitors, namely FX 8 and the crap FX 9, while being on par with i5.

Phutile

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014

Thanks, also, will I need to buy any extra case fans or is that enough?

Phutile

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014

Thanks so much for your help. Cannot WAIT to get this built now. Have a good day :p