R9 290 causing freezing under load. Please help me!

dude7691

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Hey guys! I just installed my new graphics card, AMD R9 290 into my PC. I turn the PC on and it runs for a while. If I go to play a game or watch a video it usually starts to lag badly after a few minutes but sometimes works fine. Then the screen goes back and says no video input. The PC continues to run (fans still spinning) and sound still works. It then says "no video input" on my phillips 21.5 inch 1080p monitor. I have 4 120mm fans and 1 80mm fan. The temperature never exceeds around 65 degrees C when running graphics intensive applications. The PC worked previously worked with a GTX 660 no problem. I have a 650W XFX PSU 80 + Bronze and have read that the minimum is 750W but that allows for rubbish efficiency (which the PSU I have does not as it is well rated as a good PSU). I read on tomshardware that this PSU would be fine. My CPU is the Intel Core i5-3550P coupled with 8GB DDR3-1600Mhz RAM. I would appreciate the help a lot as I don't know how to fix this. Thanks :D

Solution
Check and make sure your 3D setting under you GPU are set to Optimal Preformance or else the GPU will go in to Idle and temporarily shut off because radeon has an issue with thier cards seeing videos and certain games as NON-GPU intensice Programs. Check for latest Drivers and Try uninstalling and Reinstalling.

Nodyjoe

Honorable
Apr 20, 2014
Check and make sure your 3D setting under you GPU are set to Optimal Preformance or else the GPU will go in to Idle and temporarily shut off because radeon has an issue with thier cards seeing videos and certain games as NON-GPU intensice Programs. Check for latest Drivers and Try uninstalling and Reinstalling.

Solution