FX 6300 vs. Intel i7-4790k?

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
I currently own and use an AMD FX-6300 running at 4.2Ghz Overclocked (I could push it further but I'm still new so I work on it when I can). Most of the games I play run great (around 60fps) and I haven't had a problem since I upgraded my GPU from a HD 7850 to a Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 OC. However, I am interested in future proofing my system as much as possible, so I started looking at better, faster CPU's, and I stumbled across the i7-4790k. The price tag is not an issue, but rather I need to know how much of a performance improvement I would see, as well as how long the average 4790k will last. As I said, I am trying to future proof my system, so if they break easy I'd rather take a small dip in performance for a better quality i7. Anyways, would it be a good idea to fork over 400+ (I also have to buy a new board if I go with the i7 because my current one is AMD only) for the i7-4790k or should I just upgrade my processor to a FX-8350?

Solution
i7 4790K all day,baby.
FX-8350 is also a great choice,but I prefer Intel CPUs. :)
But note that the i7 4790K is NOT needed if you don't do video editing.For gaming,an i5 4690K is an excellent choice and you save about $100.Or FX-8350,but again,I prefer Intel CPUs both for gaming and video editing. :)
Also bear in mind that the FX-8350 needs a lot more power and a more powerful CPU cooler than the stock one.
I would suggest going for some ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard for the Intel CPUs,like ASUS Z97-A,Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H/UD5H etc.
An average 4790K can last for probably 3-4 years,if not more. When it becomes outdated,feel free to get a 5820K,X99 mobo and DDR4 memory.

oxiide

Distinguished
You sound like you're happy with your current performance, so why do you want an upgrade now? If you're keeping 60 FPS on a 60 Hz monitor, you have no room to see an improvement anyway. I say wait a few years. If your system starts having issues keeping 60 FPS in games going forward, upgrade then.

i7 4790K all day,baby.
FX-8350 is also a great choice,but I prefer Intel CPUs. :)
But note that the i7 4790K is NOT needed if you don't do video editing.For gaming,an i5 4690K is an excellent choice and you save about $100.Or FX-8350,but again,I prefer Intel CPUs both for gaming and video editing. :)
Also bear in mind that the FX-8350 needs a lot more power and a more powerful CPU cooler than the stock one.
I would suggest going for some ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard for the Intel CPUs,like ASUS Z97-A,Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H/UD5H etc.
An average 4790K can last for probably 3-4 years,if not more. When it becomes outdated,feel free to get a 5820K,X99 mobo and DDR4 memory.

Solution

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014

Well I definitely do not edit videos so I'd love to save $100. I'm just torn between the FX 8350 and the i5 4690K now. If anyone uses or has used both of these processors, or atleast have a lot of knowledge on them, how much of a performance gap would I be looking at? The reason I'm asking is because if the gap is minimal (5% or less), I'd rather go for the 8350 because then I don't have to buy a new board. I have a Hyper 212 Evo (not the best cooler but it works better than stock) so that should be able to handle the higher temps of the 8350. My power supply is a Corsair CX750M so it should be able to handle either decision (atleast I hope so because I just upgraded from a CX600 for my GPU upgrade). Just need to know the differences in performance. If it's a decent gap, I will probably go for the i5. If it is minimal, I'd rather just upgrade.

It's only around 6% difference between the two,in favour of the i5.
But note that if you get a H97 mobo and 4690 or Z97 mobo and 4690K,then you can easily upgrade to Broadwell in the future.
I doubt that AMD will release some new CPUs soon.

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014

What is Broadwell?

oxiide

Distinguished
Note that that link is specifically talking about the Broadwell-based Core-M processors, which are the mobile versions for laptops and some tablets. We probably won't see desktop, enthusiast-grade Broadwell i5's and i7's until early next year.

I'll reiterate what I said earlier: If you're seeing 60 FPS or so in most games, and you have a 60 Hz monitor, you don't have much headroom to see a performance improvement with anything. At least wait until you start seeing poor performance that you can accurately say is CPU-related. At the very least, I'd say wait until you can get a big platform upgrade all at once to a Broadwell i5.

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014

Ohh. It looks interesting but the only thing that I got out of that article was that power consumption goes down. Don't get me wrong, saving money is always good when it comes to electricity, but it seems that it would not be a worthwhile upgrade, atleast for a desktop, because of the desktop running off of AC power rather than a battery like a laptop?

I think I will go with the i5 but if I do, are there any specific boards you would recommend? I would like an ASUS board with atleast one USB 3.0 header for my case (even though I never use it).

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Id agree. What you have now seems to be doing just fine.

But....If you really want an upgrade and to get better than you are now, I'd go fx 8320. You already have the mobo. And yes I will admit the i5 is better, but the i5 is more $ and the mobo is more $. Spend little now to upgrade and get the 8320. Then when that's not good enough, spend the extra $ and get whatever i5 is out then and a mobo for it then.

But the 6300 vs the 8320 is really only adding 2 more cores. And those cores are weaker than the intel cores, yes, but most games wont even use the extra cores. You might be better off just getting a higher end air or a 240mm watercooling cooler (like corsair h100/105/110) and pushing your overclock higher on the 6300. The new cooler would also/should also fit any newer cpu you get farther down the road.

But upgrade to 8320/i5/i7, itll be better. But if your hitting 60fps now, your not really going to see any difference at all gaming or even other programs. Difference will be negligible. And your looking at a $300 upgrade to intel, a $120 upgrade to 8320. In which I think the 6300 with a $100 cpu cooler would overclock and give higher gains than the 8320. Plus that $100 cooler can be used later on so its not like your wasting it for added performance now. Like if you were to buy a 8320 and upgrade, well that 8320 is now useless. If you went i5 and upgrade later to broadwell, well that i5 is not useless. If you went cpu cooler, then upgrade i5 or w/e later, you still use that cpu cooler. Plus the hyper evo 212 is a realy good cooler that everyone uses, so selling on ebay/craigslist you should get back like $20 for.

I gave you a Core-M series CPUs,my bad,which is for laptops :p.We expect the desktop 5th gen i5s and i7s to launch next year.
The i7 4790K is a great upgrade to your system,and as I said,it can last for 3-4 or more years before feeling the need to upgrade to a stronger CPU.

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014

In response to this, I'd rather just spend a lot now and not have to worry about it for a couple years. The problem is that, as you said, the 6300 vs the 8320 is very minimal, as is the performance gap between the i5 and the 8350. Mainly what I'm looking for is the single best processor for gaming available right now, but I also don't want to spend 200-300 dollars if the difference is very small. So i'm kind of at a crossroads.

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014

Aside from the i7 4930k and the i7 Extreme, is the 4790k the best available right now? Also, as far as overclocking goes, how much of a need would one feel to overclock it? I mean I would definitely go for the K vs. non-K because the price difference is small and I like the option of easy overclocking, but would I feel the need to overclock it any time soon? As I posted earlier, I'm trying to finish off my ridiculous hunger for power for atleast 2-3 years so I can focus on saving money while I'm not paying rent and other things like that. If that means shelling out 400+ for 2-3 years of mindless gaming without FPS hassles and such, then I can do it.

I know the R9 290 OC isn't the best GPU, but it's damn near overkill for the majority of games (1080p single monitor wise) that are out today, including the ones I play, so if it doesn't crap out on me for a while, I should be fine. So mainly CPU is the only thing lacking right now. As far as RAM, I have two 1333Mhz XMS3's in dual channel. Of course I would like to upgrade it but I learned that the difference between 1333Mhz and 1866Mhz isn't very much.

Yes,the 4790K is one of the best CPUs available right now.
I would think that OCing it to 4.5 GHz and above would be great.
Again,your 4790K build will last for 3+ years without any problems or needs to upgrade it.
R9 290 is the best price/performance ratio card and you can't go wrong with it,even if it overkill.For some games,like Watch Dogs isn't but for games like CoD and LoL it is.
You're absolutely right about RAM speeds,1333 MHz will give you nearly the same performance as 1866 MHz RAM.

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014

So between an i5 4690k and an i7 4790k, which would you recommend for what I need? Saving 100 bucks would be great but if the i7 is going to beat the i5 substantially, I'd rather just go with the i7.

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014

Alright well it sounds like I'll go with the i5. Any specific boards you would recommend? Price isn't really an issue but I'd like to stay at 200 or less. The only specific feature I can think of that I need is atleast 1 USB 3.0 header and obviously it has to support the i5. Also, my current board has PCIe 2.0 x 16 (2 of them). However, how much of a speed difference for the GPU is there between 2.0 and 3.0?

What? $200?
You can get an ASUS Maximus VII Hero at that budget,which has 2xPCIe 3.0 slots,6xUSB 3.0 ports and you can do some EXTREME overclokcing on it.
If you don't want to spend $205 on a mobo,then a Gigabyte GA-Z97X UD5H or ASUS Z97-A will suffice.
PCIe 3.0 is slightly faster than the PCIe 2.0,but it's not a noticeable difference.

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014

Normally I would stay under 120 but I'm getting money back from FA for college and I have 800 to burn (but would also like to save some of it) so I want to finalize my build with the best price for performance equipment and chill for a few years without worrying about if my system can handle this or that. I'll check out those boards

Also, just for reference, how far does the average i5 4690k go for overclocking? I imagine I would probably not need to overclock it in the first place.. but in the case that I need to, how many hundreds of Mhz are we looking at?

Then an ASUS Z97-A is a great choice for a $120 mobo.
Getting 4.2GHz should be fairly easy with the Z97-A and a good CPU cooler. :)

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014

Alright thats about all the questions I have. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS