r9 290 Diver Crashes, Studdering Desktop, Low FPS Youtube?

459pm

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
I bought a new HIS r9 290 and it's causing drivers to crash in games and drop performance by 20FPS untill I reboot the PC!

The temperatures are fine for this card ( no more than 80c at any time )

I am also getting 5 second freezes when I switch tabs in chrome, and low framerate in youtube videos. What gives?

Do I have a defective card? Reinstall drivers? Any ideas?

16GB 1600mhz RAM
FX 6350 OCed to 4.3 with boost to 4.6
r9 290 HIS 4GB GDDR5 (Not OCed)
Windows 7 64bit
Latest CCC drivers
750 watt seasonic PSU

Solution
a fresh driver install should always be your first course of action. also, what was your prior GPU? was it an nvidia card or ATI/AMD? if it was nvidia, make sure those drivers are completely gone. having multiple display drivers shouldn't really affect your computer, i currently have catalyst drivers and nvdia drivers installed and running fine, but you never know.

terroralpha

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
a fresh driver install should always be your first course of action. also, what was your prior GPU? was it an nvidia card or ATI/AMD? if it was nvidia, make sure those drivers are completely gone. having multiple display drivers shouldn't really affect your computer, i currently have catalyst drivers and nvdia drivers installed and running fine, but you never know.

Solution

459pm

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

I just reinstalled, it feels like the desktop experience is better. Trying to game with it now.

Latest posts