FX-9370 stupidly high tempuratures

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
I know from the start the FX series is hot, but I tried to clocked down to 1GHz, 1 core and 1.25V and got a reasonable temperature of 40C on the CPU. At 4.4GHz, 1.4V and 8 cores I reach <65C, to which the CPU throttles down to 2GHz. The cores themselves only reach around 30C in AIDA64 stress tests. My pump reads that it's only 34C basically all the time, under load or not. Fans are at max RPM; the air from the rad is cool, and the computer is in a room that is kept around 16-20C. I recently cleaned off and replaced the thermal paste, and tightened the pump head onto the CPU.

Is this normal for it to overheat under stock conditions?

(edit) it should be noted temperatures of 60+ at stock is when idling.

Solution
It's not compatible (asus m5a97 r2.0) because the board doesn't have a good enough power and thermal design to run that chip.

Your choices for the FX9000 series:

ASRock 990FX Extreme9
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7
MSI 990FXA-GD80V2

AMD.COM

Warning: This power draw of this CPU is almost twice that of the average CPU. Due to this, AMD recommends using at minimum a 1000W power supply. For cooling, AMD recommends using either either closed loop liquid cooling or full system liquid cooling.

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
FX-9370
asus m5a97 r2.0
Corsair H80i (default fans, max RPM)
Kingston Hyperex (2x4GB, don't remember exact model)
Arctic silver thermal compound

I wasn't the one who ordered the parts, and I know it's not an idea combo. If you need more detail on the thermal compound I'll look for it, I still have it's package but I don't keep it out on my desk

(edit) Compound is Arctic MX-2

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

My problem is that it is getting TOO hot on liquid. It's not great setup but it's still too hot; I know someone on a similar CPU on air that gets colder temps.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

That board is certified for the 9370? It doesn't have very good power delivery. Meaning mosfets, vrm's. I am pretty sure your board is throttling. Not the cpu itself. If the cpu gets too hot it will shutdown. If the mosfets get too hot you get thermal throttling like you are experiencing.

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

Installed it and the thermal margin bounces between 57 and 59C, if it matters I'm on 1 core 4GHz 1.35V though right now.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
It's not compatible (asus m5a97 r2.0) because the board doesn't have a good enough power and thermal design to run that chip.

Your choices for the FX9000 series:

ASRock 990FX Extreme9
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7
MSI 990FXA-GD80V2

AMD.COM

Warning: This power draw of this CPU is almost twice that of the average CPU. Due to this, AMD recommends using at minimum a 1000W power supply. For cooling, AMD recommends using either either closed loop liquid cooling or full system liquid cooling.

Solution

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

A. Have no money
B. Too young to get a job
C. Won't get a new setup for years until I can pay for it myself
D. Can't buy new parts.

My best bet would be to hope to sell the CPU, buy an FX-8, sell the computer without the hard drives and hope to buy a new computer from scratch, but I probably won't get any more than $300 out of this thing because I suspect the pre-capped PSU is dying

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
It's fine, nothing could have been done anyway. I'll find a way to at least extend the life of the parts to a reasonable length before it all dies. All I need is the hard drives and RAM out of it anyway, maybe the H80i. The rest of it feels a little sluggish compared to what I was looking at for the same price, and judging by reviews of other AMD R9s it looks like all the mid range cards are on the lower end of the performance range anyway.

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

I tried that, CPU still throttles, I'll end up performing worse than my LGA 775 Pentium 4 HT before it stops shredding my FX motherboard. I was thinking about moving my parts onto that earlier anyway, I have a cheap graphics card I can put into the FX motherboard to run as a file server to keep all my data (LGA motherboard has 2/4 sata receptacles left, they were pretty cheap plastic to hold them on)

Then there is something wrong with your cooler . The H80 should easily handle an FX 8350 .

You would set the multiplier to a maximum of 21.5 and max voltage to 1.4 volts .
If the system doesnt work under that load you have an issue that is NOT the CPU temps .

EDIT : try resetting your bios to defaults , and then after a reboot using overdrive or CCC to limit the multiplier to 21.5

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
The cooler isn't the problem. The CPU goes down to 2GHz under load no matter what, and unless I do something like weld a liquid block to the back of my motherboard onto the socket it's not going to get any better. It's not throttling at lower GHz because of temperature, more just throttling in general; even with load line set to better thermal vs voltage

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
Over the past week I've learned a couple things about my system again. I'd like to say I've got a supported motherboard now, and that I had found out my pump had not been receiving enough power; this has been fixed with a new power supply. With that though I'm still dealing with some heavy amounts of data shuffling but I did manage to pick up an ssd when I purchased my power supply. I'd like to thank you all for your help, or my board might have died earlier, along with some replacement of parts that had nothing wrong with them.

(Edit) also my original H80 was dead for a very long time and I had never noticed it.