How would this $650 gaming pc build hold up?

TomThePotato

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
6300 has more cores but they're weaker. An overclocked oc MIGHT beat an I3 in some places, but modern games only use a few cores. Also, the combo is actually quite good for the price. You can always get different ones later.

More cores isn't always better , games are single threaded applications meaning that they rely on one strong core opposed to more weaker cores which obviously makes the i3 the sweet spot for gamers on a budget also it's got hyper threading which means that the windows read it as a quad core processor.

The FX6300 is a great cpu but technically its a 3 core CPU as each 2 cores has shared L1 Cache and ALU opposed to Intel which has shared L2 cache and separate ALU.

The Mechanical Keyboard is good when you have good core components not when you're on a budget.

CPU. I'd rather get the fx-6300 and one day buy a good CPU cooler to overclock it to 4.3/4.4GHz
Mobo. Upped it a bit so stable overclocking later.
GPU. PowerColor is low end GPU, get the Asus one. same price and much better.
Case. Rosewill makes good value cases.
Mouse/Keyboard. Found a good combo deal. And it is nice to have extra side buttons for gaming.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($106.02 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($165.25 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill Galaxy-01 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($13.49 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.98 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($28.83 @ NCIX US)
Total: $647.52

EDIT. At stock the i3 is better than a fx-6300. but once you do a slight overclock the fx-6300 is better.

You won't overclock on this board , here's a blackbird quote about this board and the exact specific combo :

Yes it's a good combo , but I wouldn't overclock on the board.

And the reason behind this is its a 4 + 1 Power Phase Design which means it lacks the heatsinks for overclocking and to OC you'll need a 990 Motherboard which is about 95 bucks for the good ones.

Alexdiaz

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
I think it really comes down to what you're going to be doing most, video editing or gaming. If you're going to be gaming most of the time then switch over to a i3-4130 but if you're going to be video editing more, stick with the FX 6300

You don't need a 990 to overclock. One of the most popular mobos: Asus M5A97 (R2.0) is 970 not 990.

According to this link the 970 Extreme 3 is heatsinked and can overclock. I just wouldn't push it too much.
http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database

I know about that Asus Mobo its an exception for its tier though with the GA-970-UD3P

And with that said about the 970 Ex 3 , you won't be getting 4.3 Ghz as the stock is 3.5G and you'll still need a good CPU cooler which is around 30 bucks .

Conclusion time : Intel i3-4150 W/B85 Mobo : $171

FX 6300 W/Asus M5A97 and CM Hyper EVO 212 : $226

FX 6300 W/ EXtreme3 and CM Hyper EVO 212 : $196

I guess thats very clear now , Intel is a much better deal and for 230 bucks you can get a cheap i5 with a cheap b85 motherboard which will be miles ahead of the FX 6300.

He's better of investing more money the extra 25 bucks in a better GPU which will provide marginally better performance. Thats my opinion you don't have to agree.

Nonsense . All the newer game engines use all available cores . The FX is a much more powerful processor and will game better consistently in online game play where the extra cores really pay off .

But the motherboard sucks . Only use mb's with 970 or 990 series chipsets with FX processors.
Usually the asrock 970 extreme3 is the best priced board
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-970extreme3r20
Avoid the MSI boards with 970 chip sets though . They have a history of thermal failures and some fires have resulted

That's what I've been trying to say. But some people don't listen.

Not all the newer games run on newer engines that's the thing , While that will apply to games like Battlefield something like Call of Duty for example will favour the i3. It's really down to what games he want to play and what does he want to upgrade to in the future.

A game for example like Skyrim will favor the i3 over the FX 6300
LL

Same Applies to Far Cry 3 ( I think FC4 will run off the same engine )
CPU-scaling.png

Saints row 4 is also a newer game
sr4%20proz.jpg

Tomb Raider is also a very good looking game :
ykv2.png

So Conclusion is I am not speaking off my A** , And I know that in some cases the 6300 wasn't overclocked but even if it was it won't be able to compensate 10-12 FPS difference in some games also bare in mind that in some cases these are older i3s which aren't as strong as the newer ones.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-3.html

Skyrim is not a a newer game , and neither is far cry 3 . They are YEARS old

If anyone is developing next gen games on those game engines they will be really low graphical quality

Meanwhile , for less than $110, you can buy an AMD FX 6300 that out of the box is about 5% slower in integer math than an intel i5 . Give it a very easy OC and suddenly it is more capable than any locked multiplier i5 in many applications

The i3 has NO upgrade path . The socket 1150 is dead , and all you could do is buy an old quadcore processor next year .

Worse still reading back is the assertion that you cant OC using an asrock 970 extreme 3 . Ive had my FX 6300 to 4.8 Ghz on one . Temps were fine , everything perfectly stable . But noisier than I wanted so its currently at 4.3 Ghz .
Yes I use an aftermarket cooler

That people are offering "advice"on a subjects they have no first hand knowledge of is unacceptable

Get me benchmarks that prove your point , and the newer FC game will run on the same engine , same with most games.

An engine life cycle is about 7 years so for 3 more years the i3 will be much better , socket 1150 isn't dead as the new broadwell CPUs will run on a Z97 motherboard .

Socket AM3+ has no upgrade path no newer CPU will be released on it except the 8xxx-E CPUs which are essentially the same CPU but with less power consumption and less heat.

Skyrim uses the same game engine used for Oblivion . Its more than 7 years old already and has been on life support for years already

Socket 1150 has no upgrade path . Intel kill sockets every two years and a die shrink wont keep the architecture alive for long . Of course you forget to mention you recommended a B85 chipset board in your build . Convenient that you did because it makes your current comment about Z97 seem quite foolish in this context .

As for benchmarks there are plenty showing that FX cpu's perform as well in games as intels that cost more . Usually the AMD's are better at encoding tasks too . The intels only really dominate in single core performance , but since an intel core and an AMD are not even the same thing its a dubious comparison .
But lets do some math anyway . An intel core is about 40% stronger than an AMD core . Those seem to be about the number
If we randomly say an AMD core = 100 then an Intel core is 140 .
Your intel dual core is therefore 140 + 140 = 280
The AMD FX 6300 is 100+ 100 + 100 + 100 + 100 + 100 = 600

Could it really be that the AMD is so much more powerful ?
Why yes it can . Because it is