Is an i5-4440 good enough to run Crysis 3 on ultra with a Radeon R9 280X?

GMEHGEEZER

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
I'm getting a radeon R9 280X soon but I am keeping my processor which is an intel i5-4440. Do you know if I could run Crysis 3 on ultra high without lag? And what kind of fps would I get if I didn't receive lag?

Solution
Yes you will be able to run it with your system fine. FPS I don't know as I haven't played the game but based on benchmarks you should be in the 45-60+ range. Depends how much RAM you have too.

rv10

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Yes you will be able to run it with your system fine. FPS I don't know as I haven't played the game but based on benchmarks you should be in the 45-60+ range. Depends how much RAM you have too.

Solution

rv10

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Yeah I think oxiide is right, a constant 60fps at 1080P is not going to happen. Lowering a few other graphics options should help if you want the 60fps locked if you will. But all on ultra no. My prediction is it will hover between the 40-55 mark depending on the environments, 60 in small closed in environments. It is a very demanding game. The R9 280X is a great high end card and paired with your i5 (although not quite as good as an i5 4670) will run nion all next gen games at high/max settings at 60fps or there abouts. If you really want to max out Crysis 3 though then you are looking at an R9 290X or above.

GMEHGEEZER

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
Yeah, I know I won't be able to get 60fps - I was just wondering if it would be decently playable on ultra. Thank you very much for the replies, they were very helpful.

oxiide

Distinguished
In general, I'd recommend fine-tuning your settings rather than using presets. In pretty much every game, there's always one or two settings that really tank the framerate, while some other settings may be set to Ultra even on relatively low-end hardware with little performance impact. Its always worth putting in the effort to find what works best.

With a 280X I bet you could get most of the way to max settings. Antialiasing and ambient occlusion are often the first things I look at, since they are really expensive effects and less noticeable [to me] than textures or shadows, or whatever.

your processor will not hold you back in most game today running max or near max settings at 1080p.

http://www.ocaholic.co.uk/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1158&page=1
test setup using a 7970(r9-280x) and a bunch of i5 cpus.
http://www.ocaholic.co.uk/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1158&page=6
the base clock for the 2500k 'stock' is 3.3-3.7ghz, while your 4460 is 3.1-3.3ghz. your haswell is architecturally more efficient per clock than the sandy bridge part so you would be roughly equal to the 2500k at stock. like it makes much difference anyways as you can see from the benchmarks

just crysis 3 maxed out with fxaa and then start turning down post processing and a few other settings until its smooth enough for you. you will find a nice frame rate at relatively high enough settings.

Esaelias187

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
I have the i5 4690k and the r9 280x and i have everything on ultra even the AA which is on SMAA High and i get between 35-45, nowhere near 60 maybe 55 when in a building

TBH it doesnt have to be 60 fps it still is very playable and smooth for me...

On skyrim i get 60 FPS all the time or even higher

and shadow of mordor i get between 55- 71 at times

so still very good fps really