3470 vs 3570 vs e3-1230 v2 vs 3770...

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
I currently have an H77 motherboard with a Celeron G1610 in a Bitfenix Prodigy M uATX case and I want to upgrade the CPU in it since I will now be using it for some higher-end gaming. It will be used mainly for gaming, HTPC and other home/office computing needs. I am also going to use an R9 290 GPU in it, 8 GB of 1600 Ram and a Samsung 840. Initially, I had my eye on the i5 3570 or 3470 since it is a well known fact that these CPUs are perfect for gaming. But, I noticed that the Xeon e3-1230 v2, which is compatible with my motherboard, is selling for about the same price as the 3570k at around $225 (link). Since it has almost the same specs as the much more pricey 3770 ($290), I was wondering if it would be a better buy for this build than one of the locked i5's? I am aware that the Xeons are geared more towards the workstation/server market and not the home/gaming market. But, would I be getting better performance with the Xeon vs the 3570? Would I be losing any features that might be used in gaming with the Xeon?

Solution
It supports your RAM and it does have hyper-threading which the i5 does not. Actually the Xeon has 4 more threads than the i5 as well. I don't see the problem. I would make absolutely certain that your motherboard, and not just your chipset, does in fact support the Xeon first though.
It supports your RAM and it does have hyper-threading which the i5 does not. Actually the Xeon has 4 more threads than the i5 as well. I don't see the problem. I would make absolutely certain that your motherboard, and not just your chipset, does in fact support the Xeon first though.

Solution

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

True, I'll be pulling the buy trigger on one of these little hidden Intel gems when my Amazon GC balance hits $200. I was a little surprised when I saw the price on it the other day since the 3770 and 3570 are both still selling for about the same as they were a year and a half ago. Considering that the only main difference between it and a 3770 is that it lacks the [useless] HD graphics iGPU I find it odd that it is selling for the same price as an i5. Even the SB i7's are still selling for close to $300 if you can still find any.

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
...making the $225 price tag of the E3-1230 v2 even more mind boggling is the fact that the Sandy Bridge version, the E3-1230, is being sold for $260 on Amazon. I looked it up today because I was hoping that it would be even less than the Ivy Bridge, BETTER revision, but it is actually more...

This has to be one of top, if not the best bang for your buck gaming CPU out from Intel. I'd say it is probably only 2nd in "bang for your buck - gaming" to the FX 8350 octa-core at its current price on Amazon of $180 since the AMD can be OC'd.