I5 4690 fan?

CAaronD

Honorable
Feb 27, 2014
So I really don't like the look of the stock cooler on the I5 4690 although it does cool fine. Would the Hyper 101/TX3 be a good replacement? This is purely for aesthetic purposes. I have a black and red colour scheme. Would the Hyper 101 actually improve the temperature over the stock cooler? The TX3 is only $5 more than the Hyper 101 ($13) in my country.

Any suggestions?

Solution
Of these 2 heatsinks, TX-3 performs better, but only marginally (couple degrees at max). The main reason is that it has three heatpipes (vs two of the 101) and, its stock fan is 92mm (vs 80mm of the 101). Any of them will be good enough and worth upgrading to :)
Of these 2 heatsinks, TX-3 performs better, but only marginally (couple degrees at max). The main reason is that it has three heatpipes (vs two of the 101) and, its stock fan is 92mm (vs 80mm of the 101). Any of them will be good enough and worth upgrading to :)

Solution

CAaronD

Honorable
Feb 27, 2014
So the Hyper 101 would be better than the Intel stock fan by a few C? Also is it quieter may I ask :) Doesn't look too bad either.

Comparing an Intel stock cooler to a Noctua (supposed to be ugly) is like comparing a dirty white wall full of fungus to a crystal clear glass wall with a beautiful view. In my opinion at least.

Yes, by a few Cs. Its not the quietest but wouldn't cause earache either, its pretty quiet.
You'll have to go $50 noctua way if you want totally quiet+totally powerful cooler. Noctua is a very fine cooler, performance wise its a beast, I don't give much waitage to looks but that's just me :)