Used i5 2400 or new fx-6300

passo87

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Hi all. I want to upgrade my cpu but can't decide which of this is gonna be better . Second hand i5 2400 (ebuy) or brand new fx-6300 , both are this same price (£75 -£80) . I'll need to buy mobo and ram anyway . The gpu with that rig will be HD Radeon 7850 and 8gb ram . Any advice?

Solution
Also, whatever you decide to go with, just be aware that you are not going to get a great gaming system for the amount you're spending. The 7850 is a great graphics card, but it's not going to wow you. It can definitely run 1080p but gaming wise you'll get better frame rates if you use a lower resolution. If I were you, and the computer is not a neccessity, I would honestly wait and save up some more so that you can afford atleast the i5-4690k. That processor is probably the best for gaming (and costs about $220), but you won't need to upgrade it for a while and that is key when building a system. If you're going to build a system you'll use everyday (enough to notice its shortcomings), you'll definitely want to make sure to have a...

Its ok depends on the games you play. If the games support better optimization for multicore, your FX 6300 should be fine.
i5 2400 is still ok to use for a gaming rig.

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
Haven't played BF4, but my FX 6300 is OC'd to 4.4ghz (with the addition of a(n) Sapphire R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Dedicated Graphics card) and I haven't found much I cannot do with it.

As far as Far Cry 4, you will definitely need a dedicated graphics card because the processor does not have integrated graphics. You will also need to get a fairly powerful GPU such as a GTX 760/770 or a R9 290 (maybe less but I have this and it works flawlessly.)

Check this out: http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=8147&game=Far%20Cry%204

So what I am saying is... if you do not overclock it and you do not have a powerful GPU, you are not going to get 60 FPS. Now that is not to say that you won't be able to play it, but it is to say that you will not get 60 FPS while playing it (which sucks because it feels very choppy).

However, you listed a 7850 as your GPU for the build. If you do not currently have one and are still interested, private message me (because I have one and will sell for a lot less than you will get it for new). Also, what is your budget for all of this stuff?

As far as Mobo goes, I also have an ASRock 970 Chipset Extreme3 (that I will sell for very cheap, but you have to PM me because sales aren't allowed in normal posts. It works great). However, I currently run an ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 and I love it. I only upgraded for USB 3.0 header lol.

And finally, what resolution will you be playing this at?

passo87

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
I'll play on 1920x1080 . The gpu I have allready just need to buy rest (cpu , mobo , ram) . I check your mobo but I need mATX coz of the case. I don't want to spend more than £200 , thats why I was checking ebay.

logainofhades

Titan
The i5 2400 is a better chip. I would go with this, to start, then upgrade to Broadwell next year, if you can.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor (£79.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI H97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£56.36 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£59.94 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £196.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-12 19:01 BST+0100

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014

Ah i see. Well with that gpu you're not going to get 60fps (more like half), but the i5 is the better choice of the 2. Not sure about i5 stock vs fx 6300 overclocked but if the price is the same then go for the i5. If you go intel, get a 97 chipset instead of 87 for broadwell and a few more features. I bought a i7 4790k, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair h110 water cooler, and 8gb of gskill trident 2400mhz ram today. Woo financial aid reimbursement :p

I do have an FX 6300 and I love it but I simply want more power.

The HD 7850 is still capable of getting 60fps but maybe not at ultra settings for modern upcoming titles.

If you want a matx motherboard, you would be better off with Intel.
AMD hasn't really got any good matx AM3+ motherboards that are good for overclocking if you interested in that route.

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
Also, whatever you decide to go with, just be aware that you are not going to get a great gaming system for the amount you're spending. The 7850 is a great graphics card, but it's not going to wow you. It can definitely run 1080p but gaming wise you'll get better frame rates if you use a lower resolution. If I were you, and the computer is not a neccessity, I would honestly wait and save up some more so that you can afford atleast the i5-4690k. That processor is probably the best for gaming (and costs about $220), but you won't need to upgrade it for a while and that is key when building a system. If you're going to build a system you'll use everyday (enough to notice its shortcomings), you'll definitely want to make sure to have a great processor and a mid-level card (what you have is fine, especially if you have the 2GB version. You won't get great FPS on high/ultra, but you may be able to catch some decent frames at lower settings.. I'm just the type of person who wants atleast the 3rd best possible gfx card and cpu). Anyways, if you go AMD, you're making a great choice. I'll be honest and say that the i5 2400 is a bit better than the fx 6300, but if you overclock the 6300 to run at turbo full time, you won't notice the difference.. and the stock fan is able to handle 4.1 because that is the turbo frequency. I would pick up a cheap aftermarket cooler if you decide to go any farther than that though.

And yes what Suztera said is correct. You CAN get 60fps, but as I stated earlier, you're not going to get Ultra or High settings which are my preferred settings. If you can handle Medium/Low settings then you can hit 60, but I'd rather play at 30 on Ultra as long as it's stable than 60fps on low settings.

For the mean time I would say just save up, but if you are going to build it now, you should probably get the i3 that was posted above. It won't be as powerful, but it's within your budget and you can save up for upgrades later. Either way, all the best to you! Is this your first build?

Solution