$1000 give or take for High end HTPC

CRUSHEQUITY

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
So after spending about 30 minutes typing this out and having ie display "page not found" when I hit submit button I will give this ago one more time. Cliff notes version.

I have decided to build my first desktop pc. Instead of using a $500 video card I am going to just buy a ps4 and build a pc for everything else. I would like to be able to do some light gaming, like diablo 3 on high settings and maybe some more demanding games on med-low settings if need be. Either way, a new gpu is one of the easiest upgrades from what I have read. Besides, I may decide to build a total decked out 2-3k machine in a couple years, but for right now I would rather spend the money on a ps4. The main thing I use my pc for, (currently using i5 hp laptop ive had for about 4 years) is grinding nl holdem mtt's online, watching 1080p movies on my tv and basic web surfing, music, ect... From everything I have read, the big money in PC's is for the gaming. So although I still want an above average quality HTPC I just don't know exactly what that incorporates. Just because I can afford 2k on a pc doesn't mean I need to or should. So with that being said.

1. Budget is $1,000 this is flexible either way but preferably $1,000 unless it is big difference.

2. I am willing to spend more on the cpu and motherboard. The i7 4790k seems it will be a powerful processor for atleast 2-3 years. I am willing to spend the extra $100 on this Unless I abosutely 100% do not need it. Will an i5 still be a good processor in 2-3 years? I hate AMD from my early pc years so have absolutely no desire to use amd cpu.

3. Motherboard. This is the other thing im willing to spend a bit extra on. What is a good mobo for what I want, that will last 2-3 years?. From the reading ive been doing I like the msi gaming series and the msi Mpower AC. I do want the option to AC if I want later, although since the i7 4790k runs at 4/4.4 TB I prolly wont have any reason to any time soon.

4. GPU. From what I have read the integrated graphics of the i7 4790k are actually fairly capable and are more than enough to play 1080p movies and light gaming. However, if it will make a BIG difference I don't mind spending $100 or so on a GPU. As this is the easiest thing of the big 3 to upgrade later, I would rather buy a ps4 atm if I wanna game and use my pc for movies and perhaps Diablo 3. That is the only game I would like to be able to play at high settings on my pc. Maybe Dragon Age inquisition but that will be on ps4 so its not important. PC controls are better but ya. What is a good lower end gpu that will suit my needs? This is the thing im most confused about. How old can a gpu be while still being adequate? What is a lower end gpu that is fairly overclocking newb friendly that I could OC to a med range GPU?

5. Case, This is another thing I am confused about. People swear by cases. What is the purpose of a case other than housing your stuff and to look nice? Is there a function to different cases? Are there factors that make cases actually better than others? What is the nitty gritty purpose when buying a case? I have big hands and arms so not sure if that matters.

6. Everyone talks about "heat sinks" But I never see them on a pc build component list? Is this because they are included in something? The cpu, gpu or motherboard? Is it because you don't need them if u use liquid cooling?

7. Do I need liquid cooling? I don't mind paying for it if it is quieter and prolongs the cpu/mobo life. Plus in the future I may very well overclock. I almost certainly will be overclocking my gpu.

8. Audio is very important to me, I'm not an audiophile or anything, but I love music and would like to be able to buy 7.1 headphones and listen to movies, music and any games I play in 7.1. This is a reason Im willing to pay a little more for a nicer mobo since they have better audio.

9. I definitely want my pc to be on the quieter side. I realize, just about any pc will have some fan humming sounds but I don't want it to sound like there is a jet engine in my room.

Basically I am wanting to build a nice pc that will last 2-3 years and just buy a ps4 instead for gaming so that if I mess something up its not a $500 gpu. This is my first build. I feel much more comfortable working with $1k in parts as opposed to $2k in parts. I just moved to a new town and so don't know anyone who could help me. Although after building a couple pcs on cyberpower and then parting them together on pcpartpicker when I was planning on doing a 2k gaming pc I saw how big a difference it is to build as opposed to having one built. Plus experience and ability to troubleshoot any issues.

Thank you for reading this and I greatly appreciate your help and advice. Hopefully I can figure out my build from this and get started on it next week.

Solution
Dont spend money on SSD, it really doesnt matter,unless you are somehow getting paid to play,most of games have waiting time before match starts.Most of people i know that have SSD buy it just because they are rich and want to show that.
Cooling really depends on do you plan on overclocking your cpu,if you do you need really good air cooling(but they are always massive,and obstruct some components) so i would go for some good water cooling,if you dont want to oc go with hyper 212 evo its extremely good for that money.
Case-only thing that matters is that theres enough fans and enough room for gpu,most of cases that can support bigger GPU-s are full-tower so that means a little more money or mid-tower with removable hdd slots .Flashy...

CRUSHEQUITY

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
After looking up some cpus on pcpartpicker, there are comparable amd cpus for like $100 which is crazy. I guess I shouldn't be close minded to AMD, I just have had much better luck with intel. My i5 hp laptop is 4 years old and still runs 1080p movies pretty much flawlessly. Dunno bout games since ive never played any, but I do grind 8-12 nl holdem tables at a time on it and it does ok.

So I am open to opinions and advice with AMD based CPUS.

CRUSHEQUITY

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
One thing I just thought about while I was outside. Do I need an SSD? I don't mind waiting an extra 10-15 seconds for my system to boot up and im not doing any serious or competetitive gaming. I can get 2 TB sata hd for less than half the price of a 256ssd/1tb sata.

Also, one final thing about AMD. I am sure they have came along ways since 2006, so if building an AMD bases system would save me $300 or so and be comparable than I would definitely be willing to try it.

dimi08

Reputable
May 20, 2014
Dont spend money on SSD, it really doesnt matter,unless you are somehow getting paid to play,most of games have waiting time before match starts.Most of people i know that have SSD buy it just because they are rich and want to show that.
Cooling really depends on do you plan on overclocking your cpu,if you do you need really good air cooling(but they are always massive,and obstruct some components) so i would go for some good water cooling,if you dont want to oc go with hyper 212 evo its extremely good for that money.
Case-only thing that matters is that theres enough fans and enough room for gpu,most of cases that can support bigger GPU-s are full-tower so that means a little more money or mid-tower with removable hdd slots .Flashy colors≠good case.
GPU-i would recommend new gtx 980 (around 550$) or gtx 970(around 350$),970 is almost good as r9 290x and 980 beats all other cards.
CPU you choose is really good,you wont have to change it for good amount of time.

Solution